Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Some strong 1970

Just because I feel like sharing and wish I was ripping.

They are raw obviously but will soon be heading to PSA.

image[/URL]
Nikklos

Comments

• Options
    Sharp
    Good luck with sub
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I love the centering on those!! Good luck with the submission.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. There is something really beautiful about sharp 1970 Topps, although the set is often maligned for its gray borders.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice. Did you pull those from a Fritsch cello pack?
  • Options
    Hernandez and Allison came from separate wax packs and Seaver and Regan came in the same cello pack, though not from Fritsch.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Allison is pretty tough. Nice!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    They look real nice ... best of luck with your sub.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    I used to dislike the 70 set for its grey border, but I've taken a liking to set recently. Those are some sharp cards!
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice cards. Good luck with the grades.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always loved that Seaver card since the time I was 7 years old in 1970. Mets had just won the WS and I lived in Brooklyn.
    Daniel
  • Options
    Topps29Topps29 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    Real nice cards... I have a sub into PSA for several 1970T, hope to get awarded some 9's... Pls show us what is not going to PSA to get an idea of the other cards centering.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Not to hijack your thread but I've got some nice 1970's too. Sharp corners, nice edges, fine original gloss, no print defects-- only one minor problem.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Nice cards Dennis - other than the obvious, they look pulled straight from packs.

Topps29 - I could fill pages and pages with 1970s not going to PSA due to centering. But I definitely have submitted ones with less than ideal centering if I thought the prospect of an 8 was worth it.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous!
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    I collected this set and put together a PSA master set. The centering can be pretty tough - especially on certain cards. Two shown are Yaz AS and the Pfiel. Others that come to mind are J Hiatt, V Blue rookie, S McDowell AS, J Koosman AS, C Koonce, J Pena, M Kekich & P Ward. Good luck with your sub.
  • Options
    Thanks. Actually pulled a very nice Pena myself from my 1970 wax box rip.

image[/URL]

By the way, I am proud to say that I have possessed the above Seaver and Regan cards since I was 11 years old. Bought a 33-card 1970 cello pack at a card show in 1981. It was NINE BUCKS for the pack. Even back then when I was destroying cards, I knew I had to keep these nice. The pack had a Brock too. Brock got a 7 (not centered too well).
    Nikklos
  • Options
    Wow, great job caring for those cards over the past 30+ years. How have you resisted not subbing them yet?

I'm over 90% on the graded set and hoping to finish it off by early next year. Got about 80% through my own submissions but will likely rely on purchasing already graded cards to finish it off. Once I complete it in 8 or better, that will fill in a run from 1968-1971 of all 8 or better sets. Just picked up the Yaz AS and Corrales recently which are both tough cards. In fact, all the AS cards are tough. I need the Rose to finish off the AS subset in 8 or better.
  • Options
    Gemint - 80% from your own submissions? Wow - I can't imagine how many cards you'd have to go through to accomplish that.

I have been so focused on subbing the cards that I have ripped in the past couple of years during my return to the hobby that I am only now really getting around to subbing cards from my youth. There is not as much gradeable material as I thought there would be. Thought I was smart putting everything in plastic sheets - I think those sheets did them in. Have pulled a few PSA 10s that have been in sheets for 30 years but they are few and far between. I think it depends on the stock. Turns out 1979 OPC, 1983 Topps and 1984 Donruss brave old-school plastic sheets pretty well. Oddly enough, 1963 Topps is also pretty hardy.

The Seaver and Regan were sitting in a pile of other 1970 cards from the same cello pack in a box in a cabinet. No plastic. No nothing. Best way to keep them it turns out.
    Nikklos
  • Options

<< <i>Gemint - 80% from your own submissions? Wow - I can't imagine how many cards you'd have to go through to accomplish that.

I have been so focused on subbing the cards that I have ripped in the past couple of years during my return to the hobby that I am only now really getting around to subbing cards from my youth. There is not as much gradeable material as I thought there would be. Thought I was smart putting everything in plastic sheets - I think those sheets did them in. Have pulled a few PSA 10s that have been in sheets for 30 years but they are few and far between. I think it depends on the stock. Turns out 1979 OPC, 1983 Topps and 1984 Donruss brave old-school plastic sheets pretty well. Oddly enough, 1963 Topps is also pretty hardy.

The Seaver and Regan were sitting in a pile of other 1970 cards from the same cello pack in a box in a cabinet. No plastic. No nothing. Best way to keep them it turns out. >>

I didn't have to go through too many sets. Two high grade sets bought off eBay in the late 90s, a NM-MT set from the local card shop that was missing only the big stars ($100 purchase!) and a high grade lot of 8s and 9s from an AH I don't recall.

I'm surprised your cards in plastic sheets didn't fare well. I had some 60s cards I purchased from a flea market in 1981 and most graded 8s when I submitted them 20 years later.
  • Options

1 1 22012269 MINT 9 1970 TOPPS 686 JACKIE HERNANDEZ Card
    2 1 22012270 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1970 TOPPS 300 TOM SEAVER Card
    3 1 22012271 MINT 9 1970 TOPPS 635 BOB ALLISON

Didn't submit Regan as I felt back may not be 90/10.

Really was hoping the Seaver would 9. Allison and Hernandez I still really think are 10s.
    Nikklos