Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Need Help with Chinese Coin

Anyone know what this coin is? My friend's grandfather had this coin in his safety deposit box. He thinks it may be from the time of the Ming Dynasty in China. Thanks!!

Pic 1

Pic 2

Comments

• sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is Ming!
    I would say this was minted during the reign of the first Ming ruler, the Hongwu Emperor (r. 1368-1398) in Fujian. It is marked "ten," as in "ten cash." It is #1954 in the Ding Fubao catalog.

It doesn't look especially fake but it is hard to know from the pics.
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man i dont like the cash coins i have a boat lode of them just to much work. But some day i'll get to them, Have fun looking sorry i cant help. image

Hoard the keys.
  • LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    Is there an online edition of the Ding Fubao catalog? If not, can you tell me where I can find one? Many thanks!!
    I have a copy of the Chinese Ding Fubao catalog. I understand there is an English edition which people call Fischer's Ding but I have never used it. (Or is it Fisher's Ding?)

Does anyone know the full title of Fisher's Ding?
    Well I googled it and found the bibliographic info:

Fisher's Ding
    My copy of Ding has a price list dating to 1997. It says this piece is worth 80 yuan. I have no idea what the price might be now, truth be told. Moreover, that figure is the price in China, not in the US or elsewhere.
    Here is a photocopy of Fisher's Ding on Ebay:

Fisher's Ding on Ebay
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Sumnom, where would we be without you?

Seriously. You are one of the reasons I joined these boards. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

You're making me blush!

I am glad I could be of service.

From the auction description it looks like Fisher's Ding was always an unbound edition. I did not know that. Can anyone else confirm this?

• << <i>You're making me blush!

I am glad I could be of service.

From the auction description it looks like Fisher's Ding was always an unbound edition. I did not know that. Can anyone else confirm this? >>

The edition is too old. Do you need a latest edition "Ancient Chinese Cash Coins" with thousands pictures? But it is written in Chinese. I can send it to your e-mail. It is a PDF.
  • Yes, this is a Ming Dynasty cash coin.

Emperor Hongwu, the first emperor of Ming Dynasty. He ruled China from AD1368-AD1398.

Tongbao means offical currency can be circulated through out the whole nation.

¸£ is short for ¸£½¨£¨Fujian Province£©in Southeast China. This coin was minted there.

Shi is ten, which means this coin equals to 10 ordinary cash coins.

This coin is made of brass, minted during the late Hongwu period. The condition is just so so, it worth about 120-150 USD.
    Wow. I didn't expect it to worth so much! Very nice.
    Aaron,

Welcome to the forums. Can you tell us the author and the Chinese title of the text you mentioned?
  • I have 3 books. PDF, you'd better register a QQ e-mail (mail.qq.com). The 3 PDF is very large, only QQ e-mail can receive.
    Thank you for the offer to send the PDFs but I was just asking about the title and author in Chinese. I am thinking I might like to go ahead and buy the regular print editions.