Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Somebody had to discover India

In 1898 the Portuguese said that they did in 1498:

Portugal 1000 Reis 1898
400th Anniversary of the Discovery of India
Silver, 37mm, 24.97gm

The coin design features a square cross, known as the "Order of Christ Cross".

This cross was the emblem of the Portugese military religious order, the Order of Christ or the Knights of Christ, founded in 1317 by King Dinis I of Portugal, who needed experienced soldiers.

He simply changed their name of an older military order, the Knights of the Temple of Jerusalem.

Also known as the Knights Templar or Templars.

The legend "IN HOC SIGNO VINCES" is "in this sign you will conquer", which was a slogan used by the Roman Emperor Constantine referring to a vision of the Christian Cross assisting his army in a battle in AD 312.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Interesting history trivia. This explains why that cross appears on Brazil coinage. I thought it was a Brazil design, didn't realize it originated in Portugal. Never seen it on Jerusalem coinage before, but I guess I haven't been looking at the right coins ...

I always thought the Templars were Masons, and/or Jewish? hence the use of the Star of David (Hebrew star, symbol of Jerusalem) in USA currency and building designs (lots of Templar lore in the good old US of A). Of course, Christians were Jewish in the beginning and technically still are if you adhere to the Jewish custom that says once a Jew always a Jew. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    That is the Templar cross.

The Templar's were not Jewish. They were sent to Jerusalem to protect the Christian " Tourists ". They were sent there by the Pope in Rome during the Crusades. They MAY have been the origin of the Masons, but many were Killed by the same religion that they served for being Heretics.

Nice coin, and I also thought that Brazil had that symbol for other reasons.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    400th Anniversary of the Discovery of India

The discovery must have been a real shock to all the people living there!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>400th Anniversary of the Discovery of India

The discovery must have been a real shock to all the people living there!

image >>

I can imagine it now:

"Wait! You mean we've been living in India all this time?!?"
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I can imagine it now:

"Wait! You mean we've been living in India all this time?!?"

Outstanding, you got it in 1!
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!