Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Help with a Roamn coin for a ancient coin newbie

Hello and thank you for any help

I have this one coin, the only one I have ever had older than 1800 and a few queations?

1. Is it real? Is it a cast or a strike?

2. Who is on the coin and what emperor was ruling at the time?

3. Is it gradable?

4. How can I submit to NGC assuming it is real?

5. Approx value if it is real?

Thank you everyone for the help!

Comments

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    That's a pretty small scan but it looks like a Roman Republican denarius of the moneyer C. Terentius Lucanus circa BC 147. The head of Roma is on the obverse and the dioscuri twins are on the reverse, a very common RR type. This predates the empire so there was no emperor at the time.

Difficult to really evaluate the authenticity from a photo, esp one this small, but there's nothing obvious that its a fake (or validates that its real either). Genuine denarii were struck altho many think the blanks were usually cast to maintain size and weight tolerances. Common coin but it looks nice so my first guess, assuming its real, would be $100-125 or so. There are several of these on ebay at or above this price level but only 1 has sold recently at $138 and unsold piece from France (that has been relisted several times) that's being offered with a start bid of $93.

Can't speak to 3 & 4 since its fair to say that most collectors of anicents prefer their coins raw.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • thank you for the help, that is the information I had (this was a gift and my name is Terence which is the name of this coin I understand?)
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... Terence which is the name of this coin I understand?) >>

That would be taken from the moneyer's name C. Terentius Lucanus, if indeed that is the common name for this coin.

According to STLNATS the numismatic name for her is "denarius" and I agree, though I'm not an Ancient collector.

You are free to call it Terence by me image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    The denomination (aka "name") of the coin is a denarius. The reference I use refers to this specific type as Terentia 10 (as best as I can tell from the scan). Several members of the Terentia family were moneyers and C. Terentius Lucanus was responsible for this specific type. As I recollect, this was traditionally a (farily entry level) position for generally younger members of senatorial families who were pursuing political careers. If they managed their tenure as moneyer well, they could seek more responsible positions as they moved "up the ladder."

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pictures are too small to be definitive but nothing jumps out as fake. It looks like it may have been mounted at some point based on the ding at 9 o'clock on the obverse, but it doesn't detract too badly. You could submit it to NGC for grading - it costs $35 I believe and you'll probably need to pay to sign up, but as mentioned, ancient collectors generally prefer their coins raw. Some dealers submit coins to NGC fairly often and you may be able to join in on one of their submissions to save having to sign up yourself.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    More info from wildwinds web site LINK
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson