Home Sports Talk
Options

Arian Foster Admits to Taking Benefits

Link

I hope more and more guys come out like this bashing the fascist regime that is the NCAA until it comes crashing down.

Comments

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    The fact that the NCAA was selling signed players memorabilia on their web site says it all...

I would maintain that they should not be paying these players more than the average kid would get for "beer money" given that they are on a full ride. The reality is that whatever they "pay them" will take away scholarships from lesser sports for both men & women.

Perhaps another alternative would be for "investors" be allowed to back these players with money of no more than $100,000 a year in exchange for a fixed percentage of their NFL salaries?

It may sound extreme, but it would be the ultimate fantasy football / investor / football card trading concept of all time.

This concept would allow the NCAA to not have to pay them a penny and let the free market "invest in the players". The worst players simply get their school paid for free.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>The fact that the NCAA was selling signed players memorabilia on their web site says it all... >>

Absolutely correct. It's the height of hypocrisy that both the universities and the NCAA are both allowed to profit on these athletes' likenesses, but the students are not.

<< <i>I would maintain that they should not be paying these players more than the average kid would get for "beer money" given that they are on a full ride. The reality is that whatever they "pay them" will take away scholarships from lesser sports for both men & women. >>

I don't think that would happen at all. Texas A&M, for example, received $740 million in donations last year, and that massive increase from $181 million the year before. That increase is due solely to Johnny Manziel and the football program. That money doesn't just go to the football program, it benefits many layers of students and athletes.

<< <i>Perhaps another alternative would be for "investors" be allowed to back these players with money of no more than $100,000 a year in exchange for a fixed percentage of their NFL salaries?

It may sound extreme, but it would be the ultimate fantasy football / investor / football card trading concept of all time.

This concept would allow the NCAA to not have to pay them a penny and let the free market "invest in the players". The worst players simply get their school paid for free. >>

This is how it is now, except on the side/illegal/shady side. Agents, through go-betweens, front these players money for their spending and to send to their families, and then the agent gets to represent them come pro time. What I'd rather see have happen is to have the university and NCAA set up an established, secure financial planner who helps these kids not only with the money at the collegiate level, but to help them at the pro level as well.
  • Options
    drewsefdrewsef Posts: 1,894 ✭✭
    where's larryallenfan to blame this on the SEC and a big conspiracy to get them out of possible sanctions
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    I know I'm in the minority, but I do not believe players should receive benefits from the NCAA. This is the greatest opportunity for an athlete in the world and to demand money just seems petty. With that said, I also believe players shouldn't be penalized for seeking agents, signing autographs or making appearances.

Anything that the player sells should not include NCAA property (ie. no appearances in their team's jersey, no signing helmets or photos with logos).

Anything that the NCAA sells should not include the players name or likeness (ie. no names on the jerseys, no bobble heads, no video games).

Keep everything seperate and anything that isn't seperate should no longer be sold. Players choose to play, but the NCAA shouldn't profit off of their name or likeness.
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss