Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I've never used an automated "snipe" but need one tomorrow night, who to use?

In all these years, I've never used an automated "snipe" before, but I have obligations tomorrow night when something ends on ebay that I want to win really badly. Are there any legit free auto snipe services?? I really only plan on using it once. I've had a ton of success on ebay since 1997 getting what I want using my manual approach, but that's not possible tomorrow night.

Mike

Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Gixen.com and it works like a charm.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    www.bidnip.com
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Thanks gentlemen, I'll go check those two out
  • Options
    Gixen.com has never failed me and I use it a ton.

Unlimited bids for free.

Those who subscribe (I think it is $6 or $8 annually) get the added benefit of a fault tolerant mirror service that ensures your bid is placed even if a server or link is slow or down completely.

Snorto~
  • Options
    One more question, if I sign up for more than one service and fire multiple snipes, IE, one from service 1 and one from service 2, will I in effect run up the bid against myself??? With the way eBay works, I don't think I would, but just want to make sure
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "One more question, if I sign up for more than one service and fire multiple snipes, IE, one from service 1 and one from service 2, will I in effect run up the bid against myself???"

If you use the same Ebay user name and password in the 2 separate snipe accounts it should not cause them to bid "against" yourself to the best of my understanding of how they work.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In all these years, I've never used an automated "snipe" before, but I have obligations tomorrow night when something ends on ebay that I want to win really badly. Are there any legit free auto snipe services?? I really only plan on using it once. I've had a ton of success on ebay since 1997 getting what I want using my manual approach, but that's not possible tomorrow night.

Mike >>

gavelsnipe . com

I don't bid without it.
  • Options
    That is right. Your account will double stack bids, but the price won't go up. I have seen several Ebayers do this.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No reason at all to do that. Just set your snipe at the highest amount you are willing to pay....................DONE.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Maybe he wants to see which snipe service he likes the best in case he wants to go permanently with one?
  • Options
    I use gavelsnipe but every snipe is 20-25 secs before the auction ends. I've lost a couple auctions to double bidders and was shilled up once. Do the others snipe closer to the end?
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Gixen.com snipes about 4 to 5 seconds before then end of the auction.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    I do mine with 4 seconds to go. You can go as small as 1 second, but I don't recommend waiting that late.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Goofbid.

Shane

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love MyIbidder on Android (free) and have always used 5 sec before close. I think with their paid service you can do some if/then kind of bidding (i.e. if I win auction 1, bid on items 2,3,4 from the same seller at a higher amount to account for combined shipping) which would be quite useful for low dollar items or when BBCE auctions a run of unopened of interest.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>No reason at all to do that. Just set your snipe at the highest amount you are willing to pay....................DONE. >>

I believe the reason Mike is thinking about putting in snipes from two different programs is in case one of the sniping programs fails to place his bid.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I use gavelsnipe but every snipe is 20-25 secs before the auction ends. I've lost a couple auctions to double bidders and was shilled up once. Do the others snipe closer to the end? >>

That is the default for gavelsnipe when you create your account. You can adjust it to a different default time before auction ending under your gavelsnipe preferences.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I use gavelsnipe but every snipe is 20-25 secs before the auction ends. I've lost a couple auctions to double bidders and was shilled up once. Do the others snipe closer to the end? >>

That is the default for gavelsnipe when you create your account. You can adjust it to a different default time before auction ending under your gavelsnipe preferences. >>

+1
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Can't you pay for gavelsnipe and get a bid 3 or 10 seconds before the end? Free gavelsnipe does 20 seconds before the end. Others can bid over you, but it shouldn't matter if they bid before or after you (other than in the case of a shill bid).

Edited to add that I stand corrected. Anybody can change their gavelsnipe bid time. Mine is set up for ten seconds before close, but gavelsnipe doesn't guarantee anything less than 20 seconds.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    ^^ That's right. Eventhough they don't guarantee, I've set my snipes to 5 seconds with Gavelsnipe and have not experienced a missed snipe.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>No reason at all to do that. Just set your snipe at the highest amount you are willing to pay....................DONE. >>

I believe the reason Mike is thinking about putting in snipes from two different programs is in case one of the sniping programs fails to place his bid. >>

Exactly, always good to have a "backup" plan,

Mike
  • Options
    Two "snipes" have been set. Should be fun to get out of class late tonight and see how I did. My luck they'll both fail, LOL.

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>My luck they'll both fail, LOL >>

I'm betting they both go though! :-p
  • Options

<< <i>

I believe the reason Mike is thinking about putting in snipes from two different programs is in case one of the sniping programs fails to place his bid. >>

I guess that makes some sense, but seems a little over the top with worry.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    By the way, good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>I guess that makes some sense, but seems a little over the top with worry. >>

Well look who you are dealing with ... Mike Navarro!!!!!!! LOL
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I had been using Auctionsniper for several years, it's $.25 for each snipe. I never had any issue with a bid being placed at 5 seconds delay. I recently switched to Gavelsnipe to save a couple quarters and have successfully placed 14 bids. I've only lost one auction because I didn't have the highest bid. I had left my account on the default setting to place the bid ~20 seconds ahead, so I can't vouch for successful placement with a short delay yet.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    I was using BiddingScheduler for a long time and it was great, but then I lost a major item because it didn't go off for some reason. Now I am trying Gixen's free service. I hope it works better.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't use it often but I use gavelsnipe and it has always been good to me.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Woohoo!! Thanks everyone. Went with Gixen and Bidnip and both snipes fired off fine. Won the auction and had a lot of room left in my bid as well.

The joys of technology image

Mike
  • Options
    Show us the damn winnings! lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    sorry, double post
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Show us the damn winnings! lol >>

Doug,

It's a 75 Topps Baseball regular wax pack. Been searching all year for one ever since I stumbled across a Grote for sale thread one day and started to build an unopened pack collection. I wanted to do the run of packs from my lifetime (1970 up), and the 75 wax was the last one I needed (well, still need the modern from like 2004 to 2013, but those shouldn't be any issue finding. In 75, I already had some mini cellos, and a mini wax pack as place holders but I wanted a basic wax pack) The 75 is GAI graded, and I really don't have the experience to tell whether or not it's really unopened or not, but I figured I could easily waste money in a lot of worse ways so what the heck, LOL Probably paid double what I should have as well, but I'm tired of searching and time is not an asset I have these days.

Mike >>

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I want to thank everyone for this thread. I've never bothered with sniping tools (because last time I looked you had to pay per snipe). I'm buying all sorts of junky wax now.