Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Redemption Ordeal - Topps 1964 Packs - CASE CLOSED

Just wanted to share my experiences and bring you up to speed with my current battles with Topps to get two redemptions filled for one pack each of 1964 Baseball. These redemptions came in packs of 2013 Topps Heritage baseball.

I filed the two redemptions back in March and always had my doubts going in but figured, hey it's Topps, they must have kept some product? This wasn't chasing a guy for an auto but just pulling packs from inventory.

I mean what company would place place a redemption into a product without every thinking of actually having to fill the redemptions. Make me wonder if this was a bait and switch all along as I haven't heard one person successfully obtain a 64 pack through this.

It seems I am not alone in my battle with Topps over redemptions so feel free to share yours. I hope some of what I say here can be used in your own struggles with Topps to have redemptions filled.

Over the past week Topps has confirmed they are unable to fill the redemptions and would provide alternate packs at a value of $500 each. Today they revised that and come to me offering the following choice for my redemptions:

$1000 in new product or $1000 in baseball autos.

I was not provided details on what the new product may be and was told specifically on the autos if I chose them, they would be random baseball players. The note ended with Topps requesting an immediate reply!

I have rejected both offered solutions and again requested packs. I have also challenged them on the determined value of $500 each. I'll let you know how this plays out over the next week.

Some help for others struggling through the same. I found emailing and calling Topps customer service to be pointless. What did prompt an immediate response from Topps was filing a complaint through the Better Business Bureau website. After which Topps replied to me in 24 hours! A BBB complaint can be filed in 10 minutes; I used failure to deliver products as my category. It can also be closed as quickly.

As for contacting Topps don't use the email, use the below link. The customer portal which tracks your questions and Topps replies.

http://thepit.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/thepit.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php?p_sid=DxI9KuAl&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=

Best of luck to you all and hopefully I can report back some progress this week.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Best of luck with your ordeal. Hopefully Topps lives up to their word.

Great info you have provided in case anybody else encounters this problem.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with this. I would suggest the $1000 in product. If they say they don't have the packs then they probably don't have the packs. I remember reading somewhere that Topps no longer has any older inventory.

Filing a complaint through the BBB was smart and if you want to keep pressing you may luck out, but I personally would take the modern product. It's not worth the headache.

How much did you pay for these? Just wondering..

Good luck,
    Jason
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

The $1000 in product is the more desireable option I agree. I would sell it to buy vintage packs. I have asked them to expand on the available product being offered as I won't blindly accept product.

Not being a modern guy any suggestions as what would be good prodcut in modern?
  • Options
    Tell them you will take $1000 in wholesale value of Bowman Chrome (preferably Jumbo) or Topps Chrome. Those two both release fairly soon and should have decent resale value. I have a feeling they will try to ship you some Inception (which has cooled drastically) or Heritage/Ginter which lacks the initial appeal now that set collectors have chased down tough SP's. You will have no luck arguing perceived value with them. It is a futile effort.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Topps has always bought back product from dealers- they did that in 2004 with Cracker Jacks. '64 nickel packs aren't that hard to find, they should be buying them from Steve Hart to fulfill their obligation.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    I know I will lose on the value arguement and that is not really the point of it. Getting vintage packs is really what I wanted.

I agree with Griffins Topps does buy back for redemptions. I have requested them to do this and have been sending them listings of 60's packs I would be happy with in place of the 64's. They have rejected that idea so far.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Good to know about the BBB avenue. Good luck with your redemption.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Take the cash and then buy the pack you want.
  • Options
    I asked for cash to do that, rejected!
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Did this involve some redemption card from a pack. Do you have a scan or picture of it and any terms of the redemption offer ?
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Did this involve some redemption card from a pack. Do you have a scan or picture of it and any terms of the redemption offer ? >>

Uh oh, retired lawyer jumping back into the ring.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    How many times does a company get to do a bait and switch before law enforcement gets involved. This stuff is getting completely out of hand. They shouldn't be using things they don't have to sell their products, regardless of their slickly worded fine print.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I'm so sorry to hear about this situation. Topps' customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I opened three cases of 2012 Topps Finest back in August of 2012. I pulled four of the Mystery Rookie Auto redemption cards. Two of them turned out to be Leonys Martin. While that's not a huge hit by any means - I live in Texas Ranger country and was relatively excited about it. I submitted all four at the same time, and received two of them back about three or four months later, but never got either of the Martin cards. I contacted Topps and was told they would have to send me a substitute card for the Martin's. I agreed to that - and I still haven't received anything. I've gone through their email customer service process numerous times trying to get any answer, to no avail.

I don't understand the idea of inserting redemption opportunities into product without being 100% sure you can secure the prize cards. Topps needs to figure this process out or discontinue the redemptions all together.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Someone needs to sue these companies to much of this happening. IF YOU DONT HAVE THE CARD DON'T PUT IT IN A PRODUCT!!!!
  • Options
    I'd go for a case of the draft jumbos coming out in November
    Thanks for sharing this and hope it works out for you. I am sitting on a few redemption cards (not for packs) and this is good to know.
  • Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    One of these redemptions closed on ebay. This is in a 2013 product and the redemption expires 1/31/2016 and Topps cant fill it?

This is from multi-Million Dollar Company. They spent Millions on a MLB license.

They CREATED THE REDEMPTION CARD. They should give you $1000 to spend at BBCE!

What they are doing is against the law. Let Topps know that if you have to, you will also call the FBI or CIA. This is fraud on an interstate commerce level!

This is no different than winning a contest at a fast food restaurant. If you win the Monopoly game at McDonalds they can’t decide later that they don’t have to pay the Million dollars.

You could also contact Collin at http://sportscardradio.com/. This would throw some hobby awareness to your issue. He has taken on Topps more than a few times and would love to hear about it. He is a good guy and has a great podcast.

Check out the link about the Topps Golden Ticket fiasco 2012 Topps Series 1 Gold Ticket 24K Ball Redemption

We need to all boycott Topps products until they straighten up their act.

Topps will not want the bad press since they are trying to sell the company
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for posting the redemption card, it is similar to one I have for a 1964 Topps Tattoo, see below. The terms on the back say "Substitutions of equal or greater value will be made if the insert is unavailable for any reason". I leave it to you still working lawyers to debate whether this language would defeat an individual or class action for specific performance by Topps in state or federal court.

I am not defending Topps. As Anthony said, they could go into the market and get such a pack if they wanted to do so. It's apparently easier for them to just offer a substitution. There can obviously be a debate about what would be equal or greater value. Topps could argue I guess that it is the value of a PSA 1 or authentic 64 pack.

Sorry this happened to you and hope Topps eventually makes it right in some manner. I had planned to just hold my redemption card as a collectible since a poor conditioned 64 Tattoo would not have much value ( besides I have the set already image )

Al
  • Options

<< <i>What they are doing is against the law. Let Topps know that if you have to, you will also call the FBI or CIA. This is fraud on an interstate commerce level!
    >>

The CIA?

• Options
    Not sure who handles what but there has got to be a Government agency that someone can complain to. It looks like there use to be an Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) but was replaced with The Surface Transportation Board (STB).

• Options
    Anthony--Topps might worry more about the IRS, but on the other hand anyone turning them in might worry about whether they had declared the market value of their "prize" Was it worth $ 1000 for redemption, but $ 0 for income tax purposes image

Al
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What they are doing is against the law. Let Topps know that if you have to, you will also call the FBI or CIA. This is fraud on an interstate commerce level!
    >>

The CIA? >>

Perhaps he wants to overthrow Topps and set up a friendly dictatorship. LOL.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    Not sure who handles what but there has got to be a Government agency that someone can complain to. It looks like there use to be an Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) but was replaced with The Surface Transportation Board (STB).

"In the most basic sense, the strategy behind "bait and switch" is simple: throw alluring bait to the public, and when the public is successfully lured in, switch the bait to something more profitable for the producers." - See more at: http://fraud.laws.com/bait-and-switch#sthash.ucqa1dj4.dpuf

http://www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/contact/report-fraud.html

Current State Attorneys Generals
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    Topps S*UCKS. Good luck with your 1964 pack...read here for more Topps redemption bait-and-switch frustration..
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    Thanks for all your contributions and support folks. The topic of redemptions is obviously sensitive to many of us due to each of our own experiences.

I realize Topps could suggest a alternate product in place of the packs should they not be available. However in this case it is clear topps never had the product to offer from the start and never intended to. I have verified with 3-4 others holding this same redemption, we are all battling through the same to different levels of success. I don't have endless hours to fight this with topps and will likley settle for something I don't want and sell it to buy the packs I wanted and was promised originally. Part of me is just happy Topps is finally communicating!

My good buddy on the other hand was so frusturated with his, he went to the level of going to the national and cornering topps reps at a meet and greet to get action!

Ill reiterate going BBB route really helped get Topps attention. And use the communication portal!

Ill post updates when I get them guys.
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    All the redemption says is 1964 Topps Pack. Why are you assuming you should receive a regular 5 cent 1964 Topps Baseball wax pack? I would take what they want to give you before one of their lawyers figures out they can send you one of these 1964 Topps packs.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/300964664063
    If you really prefer a 1964 Topps Baseball pack maybe they can procure one of these for you.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/331022150049

• Options
    Today's update.

My case has been elevated up the customer service chain. I just got off the phone with David at Topps, he called me! He wanted to discuss the options available in settling the redemptions.

He apologized for the delays and indicated too many of these redemptions were placed into product.

Four options were presented:

1. Wait for the 64 pack redemption as Topps is trying to purchase some. This comes with no timetable for resolution.
    2. Provide a list of fave players, autos could be provided
    3. Take new product
    4. Take alternate vintage product.

Being a collector and wanting vintage, I indicated I was open to option 4. David advised they don't have 60's wax lying around but does have access to mid to late 70's product in form of boxes, wax, cello, racks etc.

With that he asked if he could go away and check inventory and come back to me Tuesday with an offer in vintage substitution.

So things are looking up. David was pleasant to chat, professional, with an understanding of the issues while making an attempt to offer a fair substitution.

I'll update next week with hopefully final resolution.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    If they offer a BOX of anything 1970's I'd jump all over it.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭
    I'm stoked to hear that they are working with you on this.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that they are trying to work with you on a resolution. Can't wait for the Tuesday update to see what type of 70's product they offer you. COME ON TOPPS ... DO THE RIGHT THING!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they offer a BOX of anything 1970's I'd jump all over it. >>

I dont think that was the intention, probably just saying they have boxes of 70s packs.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    "Sorry we couldn't find any 1964 Topps packs, but here is a pack up 1979 Topps instead. You're welcome." - Topps
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anthony--Topps might worry more about the IRS, but on the other hand anyone turning them in might worry about whether they had declared the market value of their "prize" Was it worth $ 1000 for redemption, but $ 0 for income tax purposes image >>

can you include all the wrappers from packs that did not yield an redemption as a write off, like non-winning lottery tickets??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Sorry we couldn't find any 1964 Topps packs, but here is a pack up 1979 Topps instead. You're welcome." - Topps[/]

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Topps spend the time and money to find unmolested vintage wax or do they just have their intern go bonkers on ebay with a company credit card for whatever is cheapest and from the seller with the fewest feedbacks?
  • Options
    Sue the evil doers
  • Options
    Reggie I sure hope not but who knows, they don't appear to buy direct from Ebay and go through dealers. I am giving them a chance to right this, on anything they present I will be asking the same questions. If I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling I can alway go the new product route.

• Options
    There is a mid grade '64 Topps nickel pack in an upcoming Heritage auction.

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If they offer a BOX of anything 1970's I'd jump all over it. >>

Absolutely! I'd take any boxes of 70-76. Anything later, I would try and get some racks or cellos added to the deal. At least they are working with you.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Well card fans we have a resolution to my redemption saga. Topps called me back today as promised and have offered the following:

1978 Full Cello Box
    Box of Museum collection
    Some sort of Cespades auto

After some discussion, 78 was the oldest box available. Vintage packs were not available either.

I accepted the offer and realize I could keep fighting this but a 78 box is pretty cool and can be flipped easy to fund my wax pack purchasing.

They are shipping these out today, I will post pics upon arrival. Topps apologized again and I leave this feeling they ended up dealing with this issue in a professional manner once I was finally able to get a response.

Good luck on your redemption journey's gang. Thanks for the support you all showed.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Glad to see them come through with something of value, that's assuring

Curious to see the condition of the cello box

Nice job being persistant
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    I wonder where Topps goes to buy their boxes. interesting. I think a '78 cello box is a fair trade for a couple '64 packs.

I would rip the cello box. There are some Ryan PSA 10s out there.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a mid grade '64 Topps nickel pack in an upcoming Heritage auction. >>

Had Topps been forced to pursue this pack, someone could bid them up to $10k in the auction just to put the hurt on them. image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder where Topps goes to buy their boxes. interesting. I think a '78 cello box is a fair trade for a couple '64 packs.

I would rip the cello box. There are some Ryan PSA 10s out there. >>

Hopefully not to the many resealers on eBay.
  • Options

Heck, that's a 1500 dollar box right about now...Sold!
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    I really wanted pre 1978 but who can argue with 78 with so many great cards in the set. I'm not a cello guy, wax only so it will be replaced shortly me think.

Good timing as I sure could use some funds to chase the upcoming Heritage auction of 50's-60's wax packs.
  • Options
    Not sure what the two modern items are worth, but I think you did just fine. Congrats for fighting for what you deserved!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

May your Jackson/Jim Todd's be centered!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    As a final closure, sharing some pics of what arrived today.

Thanks Topps! They did good in the end.

That's a pretty sharp Doyle!