Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    appears to be psa 7 worthy...
  • Options
    The snow makes it look authentic. I'd say 6.5.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Fake. Legitimate '79 OPCs have the yellow "dot" on the left shoulder.
  • Options
    I dont see any rough edges so i would probably pass.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    100% fake.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad thing is there are a billion of these kicking around. The good thing is there is no passable fake that I've ever seen.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    it would take a real piece of crap to counterfeit something like this(i know they exist)...its a disgrace to the hobby..btw, had me fooled(im no expert)...if i were to buy a card like this i would go with a psa slabbed version...apparently there is more bs out there than i would like to believe
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fake. Legitimate '79 OPCs have the yellow "dot" on the left shoulder. >>

+1

Fake/reprint all day long w/o the dot.

I've seen fakes w/ the dot too, but those have some other signs of being reprinted. Safest way to buy a raw one if you aren't up on how to tell if real or not is to buy one that is rough cut, has the dot on the shoulder, has the blue lines on the back side from the 1st print run, and is probably a bit off center too. All those things together usually make it worth the bet if you're not otherwise certain.
  • Options
    Had me fooled. I forgot about the yellow dot.
  • Options
    Does the Topps version have the "dot" also?...how do you spot a fake/reprint Topps version?....thnaks
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    The Topps version does not have the dot. I've never seen a counterfeit or reprint Topps Gretzky in person, but I've heard that his face is very red on them and the surface is rough.

When I was about 14/15 years old I had about 20 sets of 1979 Topps hockey (minus Gretzky) and looked for reprints to fill them as I thought it would be a nice addition for the buyer. A dealer at the one of the Gibralter shows in Michigan said that there are no Topps versions, only OPC, which is what I eventually bought to fill into the Topps sets.

I do think they're out there, just haven't seen them.

If you have a picture, can help further.

Best of luck,

Patrick
  • Options
    Pretty sure I found you an example. Notice the redness in the face, overall poor surface quality and pixalated face when zoomed in.

• Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    That is not a fake topps. Sorry.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is not a fake topps. Sorry. >>

Agreed.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Has all the signs of a counterfeit plus the black border is choppy. Looks like the case has been tampered with, too.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Has all the signs of a counterfeit plus the black border is choppy. Looks like the case has been tampered with, too. >>

Not.
  • Options
    This forum is a great resource for many topics and provides answers to many questions from some of the brightest minds in the hobby.

However, sometimes, people that don't have as much information or knowledge as they think they do start espousing about things that they don't really understand while professing it as fact. I would advise those that find themselves in such a position to step back, take a deep breath and let those that know about the subject matter be the ones that speak about such things and provide certainty. You don't gain bonus points for being the FIRST to provide an answer, you get bonus points for providing the CORRECT answer.
  • Options
    Well, I certainly hope for the seller and buyer that it's real, however, there is a lot of evidence that it isn't.

I would bet that if one searches the hundred or so 79 Topps Gretzky cards on eBay they will not find one even close to this.

The border is choppy, the face is over pixalated and very red, and the surface is horrendous.

I'm half-tempted to buy the thing and send it to PSA for review.
  • Options

<< <i>This forum is a great resource for many topics and provides answers to many questions from some of the brightest minds in the hobby.

However, sometimes, people that don't have as much information or knowledge as they think they do start espousing about things that they don't really understand while professing it as fact. I would advise those that find themselves in such a position to step back, take a deep breath and let those that know about the subject matter be the ones that speak about such things and provide certainty. You don't gain bonus points for being the FIRST to provide an answer, you get bonus points for providing the CORRECT answer. >>

otw, you're one of the most knowledgeable people on these boards in this hobby, I think most people here will agree with me on that, can you offer some explanation as to why this is real?

This isn't about answering a question first, the card popped up in my search feed and since it resembles a counterfeit I immediately remembered this thread and shared it.
  • Options

<< <i>Mullins writes:
    otw, can you offer some explanation as to why this is real? >>

The simple answer is that it is real. It is like trying to prove that today is Saturday (it is as I type this). You, instead, use some convoluted logic and minor variances to create justify an assumption that is incorrect. There ARE counterfeits of the Topps card, but the two versions that I've seen would not fool a third grader. Blowing up the image of any card will pixelate the image. That is the nature of digital imaging and why they continue to increase the amount of data used for a single image.

The irony of you and counterfeit Gretzky cards is not lost on many here...

<< <i>Mullins writes:
    This isn't about answering a question first, the card popped up in my search feed and since it resembles a counterfeit I immediately remembered this thread and shared it. >>

I actually think it was perceived as an opportunity to try to show off your knowledge of all things Gretzky. It failed. Alas, I think we've figured out your man-crush by now.

There's nothing horrible about being wrong. I've been wrong and I'll man up and admit it and apologize when I am, but I'm am extremely prudent and careful about passing along hobby information that has not been properly vetted. I would suggest the same to you and others that pass along hearsay and rumor as if it is factual.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mullins writes:
    otw, can you offer some explanation as to why this is real? >>

The simple answer is that it is real. It is like trying to prove that today is Saturday (it is as I type this). You, instead, use some convoluted logic and minor variances to create justify an assumption that is incorrect. There ARE counterfeits of the Topps card, but the two versions that I've seen would not fool a third grader. Blowing up the image of any card will pixelate the image. That is the nature of digital imaging and why they continue to increase the amount of data used for a single image.

The irony of you and counterfeit Gretzky cards is not lost on many here...

<< <i>Mullins writes:
    This isn't about answering a question first, the card popped up in my search feed and since it resembles a counterfeit I immediately remembered this thread and shared it. >>

I actually think it was perceived as an opportunity to try to show off your knowledge of all things Gretzky. It failed. Alas, I think we've figured out your man-crush by now.

There's nothing horrible about being wrong. I've been wrong and I'll man up and admit it and apologize when I am, but I'm am extremely prudent and careful about passing along hobby information that has not been properly vetted. I would suggest the same to you and others that pass along hearsay and rumor as if it is factual. >>

So far you're the only person here who has admitted to seeing the Topps counterfeit (more than one). That's great news to CSUrunandstun! He asked: Does the Topps version have the "dot" also?...how do you spot a fake/reprint Topps version?....thnak. Instead of making disparaging personal remarks, snide remarks, and other negative comments, why not contribute to the thread as a whole? This forum is about collecting trading cards and/or memorabilia, so why not contribute your expertise and help provide for the education and sharing of information?
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mullins, I don't know what the "top" list of contributing members of the forum (when it comes to shared information) looks like, but I'm quite certain that Scott is on it. He is always willing to share his knowledge and his knowledge is quite extensive.

ETA: I'm just glad he's been kind enough to not call me out on all the times I talk out of my arse. Stay up, playa!