Home Sports Talk
Options

Arizona state

Just got a free win over Wisconsin from the refs. What a horrible way to end a great game. Wow.

Comments

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say horrible job by the quarterback, that was a fumble. He ran to his left, bumped into his lineman and set the ball on the ground w/o taking a knee, fumble plain and simple. If you have a decent kicker you don't need to run it to one hash or the other, they were on the 10 yard line. Just spike the ball from behind center and kick the dang ball. Poor QB play 100%.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fumble?

You must be kidding- the QB took a knee to the ground- he was down before setting the ball down.

The refs blew that call. At a minimum, put the time back on the clock that was unnecessarity wasted

If you want to fault the Wisconsin coach for not attempting the FG with 16 seconds left on the clock, that is a different issue.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    The refs were from the pac-12, so no surprise lol. The arizona state player shouldve gotten a penalty for holding the ball(delay of game)
  • Options

<< <i>Fumble?

You must be kidding- the QB took a knee to the ground- he was down before setting the ball down.

The refs blew that call. At a minimum, put the time back on the clock that was unnecessarity wasted

If you want to fault the Wisconsin coach for not attempting the FG with 16 seconds left on the clock, that is a different issue. >>

He DID NOT take a knee. Fumble. You and I have must have watched a different game. Very poor play by the Wisconsin QB.
  • Options
    Watch this play, the QB clearly sets the ball on the ground without taking a knee. I can't believe how many people say he put a knee down. This is a fumble.

Wisconsin Screw Up
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>The refs were from the pac-12, so no surprise lol. The arizona state player shouldve gotten a penalty for holding the ball(delay of game) >>

Just watched the video, and it was clear - the QB did not take a knee, and put the ball on the ground. It should have been ruled a fumble - anyone watching with an open mind could see that.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    I had no idea what I was about to (or just did) watch, but um....he set the ball on the ground. Last time I checked, even with the backwards rules in college, that's a fumble.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Watch this play, the QB clearly sets the ball on the ground without taking a knee. I can't believe how many people say he put a knee down. This is a fumble.

Wisconsin Screw Up >>

Actually, it looks like his right knee *does* goes down after hitting the lineman (10 sec mark).

edited to clarify: this is BEFORE he puts the ball down (ie hits lineman, right knee goes down, then sets the ball)
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Watch this play, the QB clearly sets the ball on the ground without taking a knee. I can't believe how many people say he put a knee down. This is a fumble.

Wisconsin Screw Up >>

Actually, it looks like his right knee *does* goes down after hitting the lineman (10 sec mark).

edited to clarify: this is BEFORE he puts the ball down (ie hits lineman, right knee goes down, then sets the ball) >>

You're right. Pause the video at the 10 sec mark. His right knee hits the ground before he put the ball down. No fumble.
  • Options
    Ahh no. Fumble
  • Options
    Knee was down.

• Options
    Another thing I dont understand is why wasnt this play reviewed? If they wouldve seen the play from every angle, it wouldve been clear that the QB had his right knee down, and the call wouldve been overturned.
  • Options

<< <i>Knee was down.

image >>

Case closed.
  • Options
    Are you going to tell me a still frame from over 100 yards away is going to be the only definitive evidence you have? It still doesn't look like his knee is down even in that shot. You are reaching my friend.
  • Options

<< <i>Are you going to tell me a still frame from over 100 yards away is going to be the only definitive evidence you have? It still doesn't look like his knee is down even in that shot. You are reaching my friend. >>

You might want to get your eyes checked.
  • Options
  • Options
    Regardless, Wisconsin didn't exactly execute that too well. He ran into his own lineman on a critical play... Enough said. And he should have handed the ball to the Ref rather than sit it on the ground.

The refs acted like they had no idea what they just witnessed, but Wisconsin caused that reaction by their own failure to execute.
  • Options

<< <i>Regardless, Wisconsin didn't exactly execute that too well. He ran into his own lineman on a critical play... Enough said. And he should have handed the ball to the Ref rather than sit it on the ground.

The refs acted like they had no idea what they just witnessed, but Wisconsin caused that reaction by their own failure to execute. >>

After a QB takes a knee they dont have to give the ball to the ref. Its a dead ball after the knee. Why wasnt the play reviewed?
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not the best executed play- the refs made it worse as there was no review and no reasonable effort to move the game along- its embarrassing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Regardless, Wisconsin didn't exactly execute that too well. He ran into his own lineman on a critical play... Enough said. And he should have handed the ball to the Ref rather than sit it on the ground.

The refs acted like they had no idea what they just witnessed, but Wisconsin caused that reaction by their own failure to execute. >>

After a QB takes a knee they dont have to give the ball to the ref. Its a dead ball after the knee. Why wasnt the play reviewed? >>

Don't have to, but looking back on it probably should have. Hindsights 20/20, though.
  • Options

<< <i>Not the best executed play- the refs made it worse as there was no review and no reasonable effort to move the game along- its embarrassing >>

^ these ^
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Link

<< <i>The play appeared to be called correctly. It's what happened after that may be called into question.

Though the Sun Devils thought Stave's knee never hit the ground, replays showed it briefly touched the turf. The officials saw it and pointed to the ground to signal the play was dead, but Arizona State's players thought it was a fumble and frantically dived on the ball, costing Wisconsin precious seconds.

Even after the Sun Devils were pulled off the ball, one of the officials briefly held the Badgers at the line of scrimmage before they could snap the ball, costing them even more time.

After the play, Stave tried to grab one of the officials running off the field, but he kept going, and Andersen said he got no response after asking for an explanation.

The Pac-12 said Sunday that officiating calls are reviewed every Monday. >>

It will be interesting to see what the Pac-12 has to say.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Gift win for sure. However, the Wisky QB was clearly not aware of the time so I think he needs to take some of the blame. Plus, the awkward way he executed the play didn't help. It confused everybody.

As for the issue of the knee he clearly put his knee down as has been shown. However, even if he didn't, on TV they were talking about that he had given himself up. I wonder if there is some strange college rule where you show you aren't trying to advance that the play can be blown dead!? In any event the play was blown dead.

Then the ASU player should have been blown for a penalty.

However, having said all that, if the QB had been paying attention he had time to hike it and stop the clock. He only missed it by a second as it was.

• Options

<< <i>Gift win for sure. However, the Wisky QB was clearly not aware of the time so I think he needs to take some of the blame. Plus, the awkward way he executed the play didn't help. It confused everybody.

As for the issue of the knee he clearly put his knee down as has been shown. However, even if he didn't, on TV they were talking about that he had given himself up. I wonder if there is some strange college rule where you show you aren't trying to advance that the play can be blown dead!? In any event the play was blown dead.

Then the ASU player should have been blown for a penalty.

However, having said all that, if the QB had been paying attention he had time to hike it and stop the clock. He only missed it by a second as it was. >>

The QB did pay attention. The ref himself delayed the game by not putting the ball down so the QB could spike the ball in time. The refs completely ruined a great finish.
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    I'm sure there were *no* other questionable calls anytime throughout the game, right? But because this one happened at the end it was the only one that matters?

Refs make mistakes, people are human, next time maybe they shouldn't allow the entire game to come down to one poorly executed play.
  • Options
    Big 10 officials supervisor confirmed refs screwed up, still waiting for confirmation from PAC-12.

The refs should have gone to replay rather than run away like cowards.
  • Options
    Link

<< <i>Walnut Creek, Calif. -- Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott has reprimanded and taken additional sanctions against officials in Saturday night's Wisconsin at Arizona State game for failing to properly administer the end of game situation and act with appropriate urgency on the game's final play, it was announced today. >>

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Plenty of blame to go around. The QB most definitely did not fumble, but OTOH, why did he not spike the ball?
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>However, having said all that, if the QB had been paying attention he had time to hike it and stop the clock. He only missed it by a second as it was. >>

Kinda hard to snap the ball when the ref is standing over it. The ref released the ball with about :03 left, then stood in the middle with his hand up blocking the snap and then backed out at :01, not allowing enough time for the snap. Stave did everything correct. He gave himself up, placed the ball easily, and immediately started asking the refs to move things along. The refs completely blew it from there.

<< <i>Plenty of blame to go around. The QB most definitely did not fumble, but OTOH, why did he not spike the ball? >>

Because spiking the ball would have left it in the same spot for the next snap. They were trying to "center" the ball for a field goal attempt.

It's worth noting that part of the reason that Wisconsin was even in that position to kick the FG is that the refs blew a call right before this, giving Wisconsin an extra 25 yards on a reception where the receiver stepped out out of bounds. They reviewed it and still got it wrong.

All that said, no question about it, Wisconsin got hosed here. The refs made about 500 mistakes on that play, all of which could have easily been prevented or recovered from.

Also, to whoever asked, both college and pro football have a rule where runners can "give themselves up" and end a play. It's not really needed in college - the play it automatically over when a knee touches the ground anyway.
  • Options
    Will they score 100 points tonight?