Home Precious Metals

I'm in the market for my first 10 ounce bar. Anything I should know before I pull the trigger?

I was searching around for a 10 ounce bar and came across this 20 oz bar. Thought it was cool, I never even heard of a 20 oz bar.

I'm in the market for my first 10 ounce bar so if you guys see any deals, please post them. I'm looking for a nice clean one, probably a pressed apposed to poured.

Anything I should know before picking this up?

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Could be cheaper on Wednesday if the FED actually gives a plan on the taper. Im waiting until then, although it could go up if they don't.

Grats on your new purchase :-)
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I have not purchased yet, there should be a deal in the next week or two.

• One of my low-premium favorite, quality wise, is the Sunshine Minting bar.
    Goldmart has them in stock at $0.89 over spot (plus shipping).
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭

Yes, DON'T pay the $800 APMEX wants for the 20 oz'er. If you have patience, you can win one fro around $675 on the Bay when someone offers it as a true auction.

As far as 10's & 5's, you just gotta go with what you like and think is a good price. They're really all over the place lately for the exact same style of bar. Patience and a little due diligence and you'll come out ok.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold or silver?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

<< <i>Gold or silver?

image >>

I actually laughed out loud... ummm.... Silver for my meek collection image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One of my low-premium favorite, quality wise, is the Sunshine Minting bar.
    Goldmart has them in stock at $0.89 over spot (plus shipping). >>

Good choice. They make the planchets for the ASE's.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a ntr 10er at my lcs a couple weeks ago, nothing wrong with it at all for the price I paid.

That 20 does seem steep at apmex.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got a ntr 10er at my lcs a couple weeks ago, nothing wrong with it at all for the price I paid.

That 20 does seem steep at apmex. >>

APMEX charges a stiff premium because it is a "rare collectable bar". Sell it back to them and the premium disappears. POM tried to sell them a 5oz Engelhard so he can share a recent experience with their buy prices. If you want to invest in silver, buy only recognized name brand bars that are priced close to their melt value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was searching around for a 10 ounce bar and came across this 20 oz bar. Thought it was cool, I never even heard of a 20 oz bar.

I'm in the market for my first 10 ounce bar so if you guys see any deals, please post them. I'm looking for a nice clean one, probably a pressed apposed to poured.

Thanks for your input. >>

Not sure I understand why you would be uninformed on bars at all if you post here.
    If you look at the PM BST thread you will see people you know from posting selling
    a variety of 10 oz bars over time. Not only would that thread alone have educated me on the brand I wanted at this point
    but also the trusted individuals who i could buy from at market better prices.

Loves me some shiny!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I got a ntr 10er at my lcs a couple weeks ago, nothing wrong with it at all for the price I paid.

That 20 does seem steep at apmex. >>

APMEX charges a stiff premium because it is a "rare collectable bar". Sell it back to them and the premium disappears. POM tried to sell them a 5oz Engelhard so he can share a recent experience with their buy prices. If you want to invest in silver, buy only recognized name brand bars that are priced close to their melt value. >>

Yup. They're only rare on the sell side there.

<< <i>

<< <i>I was searching around for a 10 ounce bar and came across this 20 oz bar. Thought it was cool, I never even heard of a 20 oz bar.

Not sure I understand why you would be uninformed on bars at all if you post here.
    If you look at the PM BST thread you will see people you know from posting selling
    a variety of 10 oz bars over time. Not only would that thread alone have educated me on the brand I wanted at this point
    but also the trusted individuals who i could buy from at market better prices. >>

ummmm.... thanks. I was provoking a conversation and sharing the fact that I am jumping into my first 10 ouncer... This is a chat forum correct? This thread also allowed me the opportunity to bring up the 20 ouncer and the fact that I have never seen one... Chat site right?

I'm not uninformed, just wanted to get some opinions from those that have owned some for awhile, you know... how they age, maybe how they store them... This is a chat site right? Where people come to chat about similar interests such as, oh I don't know... Precious metals?

As for the BST, thanks, I have done transactions from there, I have been on this site for over 10 years (Since they changed the format many long years ago). I have had good and bad experiences but I still do.

Thanks for your input though. While we are on topic, I was wondering if you could direct me to a chat site that I can go to, to talk about precious metals and share experiences.. That would help.

Thanks again.
    Ray
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Go for legitimate bars whenever you can since the fakes are out there. Order from a known source, rep store you trust or
    a rep dealer so you get a real bar. Start a collection.
    COA
  • carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

but also the trusted individuals who i could buy from at market better prices. >>

ummmm.... thanks. I was provoking a conversation and sharing the fact that I am jumping into my first 10 ouncer... This is a chat forum correct? This thread also allowed me the opportunity to bring up the 20 ouncer and the fact that I have never seen one... Chat site right?

I'm not uninformed, just wanted to get some opinions from those that have owned some for awhile, you know... how they age, maybe how they store them... This is a chat site right? Where people come to chat about similar interests such as, oh I don't know... Precious metals?

As for the BST, thanks, I have done transactions from there, I have been on this site for over 10 years (Since they changed the format many long years ago). I have had good and bad experiences but I still do.

Thanks for your input though. While we are on topic, I was wondering if you could direct me to a chat site that I can go to, to talk about precious metals and share experiences.. That would help.

Thanks again.
    Ray >>

I think you found the right place. Check out some the threads.
    Lots of talk about bars, dealers, prices, rarity.

Who knows, in 10 years or so, you will probably be an expert in just about
    all areas (except spot predictions image.

Especially 10 oz bars. These arewidely purchased / sold and discussed . 6 mos tops and you will know all you need.

best of luck.

Loves me some shiny!
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    If you want to invest in silver, buy only recognized name brand bars that are priced close to their melt value.

Agreed. If you are looking to invest in silver, do this.
    If you desire the collector type bars, you're in for an eye opener, or a huge turn off...one or the other LOL, and I only hope that you dont become as addicted as I have image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I were into bars, I would have normally focused on John Matthey, Credit Suisse, Sunshine and Englehard. Now, I am fairly impressed with Scottsdale and a couple other new market participants. I agree with the previous posters who say to stick with the major brands.

I kinda like some of the Perth Mint stuff in 10 oz., and although the premium is much more, it does seem that sometimes those things yield a better return.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrpaseo, $800 or so for one of those Engelhard 20's is a bit pricey at present.

That bar is the most common of the five styles of Engelhard 20 oz bar that are available.

At today's silver price it would a $650 to $700 bar (as POM suggested) if offered via a true auction on ebay.
  • I count my ounces not $$ I pay for cool, yet won't pay for name - I am a friggin enigma!! Over paid for much, under paid for others - I too now enjoy the 10 oz bar - and she is an alluring lady! image