Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

N172 Old Judge Cards

I'm interested in talking with other collectors of this series. I have only been collecting them for a little while and I focus my collecting on cards depicting members of the Cincinnati Reds or Columbus Solons.

I've noticed a few things that bring some questions to mind:

1. Unlike most other later series I collect, PSA doesn't seem to dominate the market for these cards as much. In particular, I see a lot of these in SGC holders, which I don't see too often for later cards. Any idea why this would be the case?

2. Should grading standards be different for these kinds of cards? They vary quite a bit card to card, leading me to wonder if they were hand-cut (I'm talking about slabbed examples that presumably were not trimmed later). Is this the case? Should the focus of grading be on the emulsion itself or do corners and edges matter just as much as with later cards? What about the blank backs?

3. PSA seems to have very strict standards for these. At times I wonder if it is too strict. I see a lot of them in Authentic holders that seem to deserve a grade.

Any thoughts?

Dave Fanning

Dave Fanning
dfanredsfan

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm interested in talking with other collectors of this series. I have only been collecting them for a little while and I focus my collecting on cards depicting members of the Cincinnati Reds or Columbus Solons.

I've noticed a few things that bring some questions to mind:

1. Unlike most other later series I collect, PSA doesn't seem to dominate the market for these cards as much. In particular, I see a lot of these in SGC holders, which I don't see too often for later cards. Any idea why this would be the case?

2. Should grading standards be different for these kinds of cards? They vary quite a bit card to card, leading me to wonder if they were hand-cut (I'm talking about slabbed examples that presumably were not trimmed later). Is this the case? Should the focus of grading be on the emulsion itself or do corners and edges matter just as much as with later cards? What about the blank backs?

3. PSA seems to have very strict standards for these. At times I wonder if it is too strict. I see a lot of them in Authentic holders that seem to deserve a grade.

Any thoughts?

Dave Fanning

image >>

For the most part, long time pre WW1 collectors prefer SGC for grading OJ's, e cards, etc. Exceptions would me more common issues like T206, Cracker Jacks, etc.
    Look at your example- it's floating in the holder, vs. sitting tight in a black matte in a SGC holder.
    Grading standards can't really be different for different issues, since it would lead to even more inconsistancy. So on this issue you can have a high grade on a card that has sharp corners but a faded image. Standards are standards, regardless of the issue they are applied to.
    PSA is tougher on some issues than SGC. While I have cracked out about 50 Cracker Jacks out of SGC holders and they graded virtually the same with PSA, but doing the same with a half dozen T200's the average drop was 2 full grades.
    If you are starting on this set I'd highly recommend the book The Photographic Baseball Cards of Goodwin and Co by Jay Miller, Richard Masson and Joe Gonsowski. There is a copy on ebay right now for $40.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>I see a lot of these in SGC holders, which I don't see too often for later cards. Any idea why this would be the case? >>

<< <i>PSA seems to have very strict standards for these. >>

You answered your own question. SGC is far more lenient.
  • Options
    Thanks for the thoughtful responses. I bought the book you recommended--thanks for that also. I only have a few of these: five, I believe. So they are a small part of my collection, but I am really drawn to them. They really seem to be museum pieces and I feel a responsibility to take care of them in a way that I don't necessarily feel about later cards.

Best,

df
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    Maurice:

Interesting point! Thanks.

df

Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    Look at N173's, you'll really love those.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Yeah, the N173s are amazing, but seem a bit rich for my blood! Amazing stuff.

df
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    Hey, Griffins:

Thanks for recommending the book on N172 issues. I've been reading it and it is an outstanding reference--just what this complicated series needs.

Best,

Dave Fanning
    Dave Fanning
    dfanredsfan
  • Options
    Glad you like it, along with a few other books like Lipsets it's invaluable.
    Now if you want some serious sticker shock check out prices on N172 California League players.