Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My Santa Clara, Ca. Coin Show Buys

Was only there for 4 1/2 hours but it was a busy 4 1/2 hours. Seemed very well attended. Had to wait numerous times to talk with dealers about their offerings. I found for the first time at a show some of my favorite coins "Liberia 1800's official coinage and patterns" A young man named Ben had a small collection he had started and I picked up this really cool PCGS PF62 BN 1862 2 Cent piece from him. The 1862 is of the official coinage and not a pattern. Thought to have been minted in Birmingham England.

Also picked up a really nice raw Henry VI Groat. I've always enjoyed this show and was glad to see more quality world coinage being offered. Spotted a wonderfully toned Seated Liberty 10 Cent Pcgs, but when I got back around to it ti was GONE!. And the same went for a cool looking walker half, went back and it was GONE too! I decided that somebody here had the same criteria for cool as I did, and that they were also lightening fast on the draw.

Was looking forward to viewing Doug Bird's Colonials and Falcone's South American offerings, but they hadn't showed before I left.

Great Show Scott G., Thank you, and all the dealers for your combined efforts.

LIBERIA 1862 2 CENT HERE (PCGS IMAGE)
NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice two cent, those had some great detail for their time/where they were meant the circulate.

Wish there were more then two coin shows in the Fargo area per year. Everything is a 4 hour+ drive.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    WOW that is a gorgeous coin! What the heck am I thinking owning a modern Liberia NCLT when there's gorgeous 19th-century gems like this floating around ...

I always hated the Liberia stuff that basically rips off US history. Thanks for the wake-up call!

edit: I know that's probably our capped-bust girl on the obverse but the wide rim design reminds me of the large British cartwheel pennies (which I always liked) and the tree on the reverse is way cooler than all the NCLT reverses of the past three decades IMHO
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Numbers: Awesome coin, and a great post! I am psyched to see this coin. I've never seen one this nice.

Lochness: I agree, I think this reminds me of the George cartwheel pennies which have always been some of my favorites.
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Numbers: Awesome coin, and a great post! I am psyched to see this coin. I've never seen one this nice.

Lochness: I agree, I think this reminds me of the George cartwheel pennies which have always been some of my favorites. >>

Cool coin!

Lochness, Liberia was basically colonized by freed US slaves, hence they have close ties to the US and US history.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Yes but that doesn't mean they have to mirror our designs and in effect our culture. Most of the proud "African American" people I know, who are so far removed from Africa they might as well just call themselves "American," fill their homes with African art and black culture. They wouldn't be caught dead with a portrait of Nixon or Eisenhower or George W. Bush or Clinton (well, maybe Clinton LOL). But then you look at these modern Liberia coins and it looks like they were designed by hardcore Republicans on the steps of the Capitol.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE