Home Precious Metals

Thinking of buying my first 100 oz silver bar

Got an email from apmex for this apmex link but not to sure on how great of a deal it is? also as far as the brands go for bars I have no idea ?
any advise is appreciated
Thanks Brett

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure others, who know more, will chime in, but for me, I stay away from 100oz bars. Premiums are better (for the buyer), and this one looks ok, but I would still try to get it for a little less, locally, if I could.
    It seems to work for IRA, if you are playing that game.

For me, I prefer 1-5-10 ounces as they are more liquid. Not everyone has the cash at a moment's notice for 100oz bars, so that may limit on the sale side.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 oz Engelhard bar is great for ironing out wrinkled FRNs. I have just one large bar. Cool enough to own
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone ought to have a 100 oz bar experience at least once in their lifetime, eh Barndog?image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone ought to have a 100 oz bar experience at least once in their lifetime, eh Barndog?image >>

Absolutely!
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Although maybe cool to own, and you can purchase them for less of a premium than a 10 or 5 oz bar, when you go to sell it, you will not get the premium you MAY have paid for it. 100 oz'ers are a slave to whatever Spot is.
    Of course, this is how the market for them is NOW...hold the bar for 5 years and it may be totally reversed scenario, but I doubt it because it's been this way for as long as I can remember.

An easy way to remember it when buying is, the higher the oz's of the bar, the less the premium...buying and selling it.
    So, if you're willing to wrap up $xxxx in one thing, and if you are forced to sell for whatever reason, you have to sell ALL of that one thing vs. maybe only 5-6 of the 10 10 oz'ers you could've owned instead.

To each his own and I don't know if there's really a right answer. It's more of a preference thing.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Got an email from apmex for this apmex link but not to sure on how great of a deal it is? also as far as the brands go for bars I have no idea ?
    any advise is appreciated
    Thanks Brett >>

All of the above comments carry good advice. Most of the time 5oz and 10oz bars are the way to go.

But if you've never owned a 100ozer? I'd get a name brand like that JM for the experience alone. They're a heck of a paperweight!
  • bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys I think I am going to stick with the 10 ouncers for now image one day I will get a 100ozer image
  • I would love to own a 100 ozer someday!
    I think the Engelhard with the American flag box is pretty cool. As well as the struck JM or RCM.

It isn't probably never going to happen. image
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    Go for it image If you already have 200+ oz of silver already. They are a bit less liquid and a lot of money to tie up in one bar, so you don't want one bar to be a huge percentage of your stack.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Everyone ought to have a 100 oz bar experience at least once in their lifetime, eh Barndog?image >>

I bought my first 100 oz bars in 1987. Sold one in 1992 and the last in 2003.

I hope your first experience isnt like mine.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• << <i>...An easy way to remember it when buying is, the higher the oz's of the bar, the less the premium...buying and selling it.
    So, if you're willing to wrap up $xxxx in one thing, and if you are forced to sell for whatever reason, you have to sell ALL of that one thing vs. maybe only 5-6 of the 10 10 oz'ers you could've owned instead.
    ... >>

Makes sense. Variety is the key. A little bit of each. Some 100's some kilo's some 10's, etc. Prov has a 100 opm for .69 over (plus that shipping deal this month). I think that's their regular price on that. Nothing fancy a real "silver is silver" buy.

How easy of a move do you want it to be when you move the stuff? 5 100 oz bars or 500 Indian head rounds?
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Although maybe cool to own, and you can purchase them for less of a premium than a 10 or 5 oz bar, when you go to sell it, you will not get the premium you MAY have paid for it. 100 oz'ers are a slave to whatever Spot is.
    Of course, this is how the market for them is NOW...hold the bar for 5 years and it may be totally reversed scenario, but I doubt it because it's been this way for as long as I can remember.

An easy way to remember it when buying is, the higher the oz's of the bar, the less the premium...buying and selling it.

To each his own and I don't know if there's really a right answer. It's more of a preference thing. >>

What he said.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Gold/silver are for savings, fiat is for transactions. What's wrong with investing/saving $2K-$3K in one bar,coin,stock, car, etc? People do it every day.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    actual premium is a good indicator of actual liquidity.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kilo is about as big as I'd go, but a hundy is cool. I see no reason not to buy though if you want it, you know the issues with them already.
  • Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive not bought a 100oz bar yet either, but do look forward to it. They are quite neat, but I see them all the time at work so they have lost some of the cool factor.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to buy them in the shop, as others said, neat to own and hold, but hard to sell. Almost always had to ship them to get rid of them.

If you want liquidity, go smaller like 5/10's.

Oh I might add:

I had a guy come in once with 12 of them when silver was over 45.00, Let me tell you I was glad to get that transaction over and done with , and payment. Shipped them to apmex at the time. heavy box and a bucnch of money tied up to make little percentage!
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that might be pretty good to have for yourself and theres nothing wrong with it. good idea
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭
    I've owned 4, but each for less than a week. They were neat to hold and look at. I made 75¢/oz on them and was glad to get rid of them.

I'd MUCH rather have 20- 5ozers or 10- 10ozers than 1- 100ozer any day of the week and twice on sunday.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For liquidity purposes, I'd rather
    have (10) 10 oz. bars !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat to own and hold, but hard to sell.

What's wrong with investing/saving $2K-$3K in one bar,coin,stock, car, etc?

These seem to be contradictory comments. But I agree with both, and is why I do not really "trust" metals. Are we to believe that the market is made up of people who cannot even afford to make a $2-3K investment?
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To many silver investors of modest income with a family to raise and house/car payments to make, a 100 oz bar costs a small fortune and an occasional 5 oz or 10 oz bar is a more reasonable approach. To more affluent investors, $2500 for a 100 oz bar is chump change. It all comes down to an individual's circumstances. As far as 100 oz bars not being liquid, all the major bullion dealers are more than happy to buy them. Also, they go fast on the BST here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    As far as 100 oz bars not being liquid, all the major bullion dealers are more than happy to buy them. Also, they go fast on the BST here.

If I gave that impression I am sorry. They certainly are liquid, usually for right around for whatever Spot is at that given moment is what I was trying to say.

The lower the weight if the bar, the more premium one should realize. If you're looking to tie up/invest let's just say $2500, I'd rather it be in 10, 20 or even 100 things...than in one thing. There may come a time when I need quick cash. I would then to be forced to sell all of one thing vs. only what I actually need to.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.