Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Pedigree of Cruzan 1964...anyone have info on this?...ANSWERED by Roger W. Burdette ATS of course!

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
Who was Cruzan? Circa 1964. Any good info? Google was not helpful for me and a search of these forums for the last 10 years and then 5 years only produced a TIMEOUT error.
I was just randomly browsing some coins in the Newman sale and found an 1849 Half Cent in NGC MS65 that has the Pedigree of Newman; Cruzan 1964.

What do the great minds of these forums have?
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    Is anyone else able to share any info?
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't have any information. Perhaps 1964 is a lot number in the catalogue linked to?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    This yet another fine example of why Roger W. Burdette should be an active member here on these forums! He is so willing to share his vast wealth of knowledge! I am thankful he is ATS at least.

That being said....
    --------------------
    Mary Cruzan inherited half of Burdette Johnson's estate when he died in 1947. The coins in the auction, and in another held in London, were from her estate following her death.

Mary was a very close friend of coin dealer Johnson, and was the daughter of Johnson's only known romantic interest. Johnson treated her much like a daughter.
    -------------------

So, it seems the coin I noticed in the Newman sale actually came from Burdette Johnson but the label on the holder says Cruzan 1964 because of the auction it came from. Bravo RWB! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file