Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What constitutes a U.S. coin series?

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does the 1796 Draped Bust, Small Eagle quarter constitute a one year, complete coin series, or is it part of a larger Draped Bust quarter series?

What about the 1808 quarter eagle?
Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Class?
    Bueller?
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I have to say is that if the Red Book lumps it into the Draped Bust series (and it does), then who am I to disagree?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would venture to say that it takes at least two of something to be considered "in a series", as in a serial sequence.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,483 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would venture to say that it takes at least two of something to be considered "in a series", as in a serial sequence. >>

I agree. One of any one thing is not a "series" and to label it as such is..............say is it a "mule"?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The person building the collection gets to decide what is included in it.

I would include the quarter as part of the Draped Bust series.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure there is a clear answer- to the extent that this helps, think of the 1902 GB Crown. One year, but there is a proof so I suspect that changes that example

1879 Italian 5 Lira?

Obviously not US examples, but sometimes a numismatic question trumps geographic boundaries

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about going the other direction and say that a denomination defines a series?
    I don't think there is a correct, defendable answer Captain.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file