Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should eBay get rid of reserve auctions?

It seems like 90% of them never hit the reserve price and it clutters up listings.

Comments

• Options
    As opposed to the Buy It now Auctions which I skip? LOL. I don't think is a good way for eBay to have auctions. With all of the shill bidding going on, every auction is a "reserve" auction of some type.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most "reserve" auctions these days aren't actually auctions with a reserve anyway.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    If the got rid of reserve auctions, then there would just be more high starting bid auctions. I think they should make all auctions start at .99 cents with no reserve which would add some excitement back into ebay. It's why sellers like Probstein and PWCC do so well - you know you're not wasting your time bidding on a reserve (usually).
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Na, I dont think so. Me personally, I wont bid on an auction with a reserve, but more power to anybody that wants to set a reserve.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they should make all auctions start at 99 cents with no reserve which would add some excitement back into eBay. It's why sellers such as Probstein and PWCC do so well - you know you're not wasting your time bidding on a reserve (usually). >>

+1
  • Options
    It would promote shilling.
  • Options
    Why would ebay want to do that? They do not care if an item sells. If the reserve is not met, the seller still pays the end of auction fees.

Ebay still gets their money, that is all that matters.

Dave
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They do not care if an item sells. If the reserve is not met, the seller still pays the end of auction fees.
    >>

Huh? There's a listing fee for a reserve price auction, but no end of auction fee if it doesn't sell.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's why sellers like Probstein and PWCC do so well - you know you're not wasting your time bidding on a reserve (usually). >>

As a bidder, how are you wasting any more time than a regular auction that already has a bid? In both cases, bidding may or may not give you a winning bid. A reserve price is basically just a bidder that bid once and won't bid again.
  • Options
    Having a reserve is stupid sometimes. Why not just start the bid at the price you want and go from there?

The logic to the reserve however is that you put a price down and when it doesn't hit that reserve price, you keep going up in hopes that it does hit that magic number so what youre really doing is paying more than what you originally wanted to.

eBay charges more for people who list auctions with reserve prices instead of a regular style auction so if they're making money regardless wether the item sells or not, they don't care nor why would they stop as long as they are getting paid.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They do not care if an item sells. If the reserve is not met, the seller still pays the end of auction fees.
    >>

Huh? There's a listing fee for a reserve price auction, but no end of auction fee if it doesn't sell. >>

The last I knew their were end of auction fees if it does not sell. I have not sold anything in a couple of years, so that might have changed.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>As a bidder, how are you wasting any more time than a regular auction that already has a bid? In both cases, bidding may or may not give you a winning bid. A reserve price is basically just a bidder that bid once and won't bid again. >>

Good point.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    People need to relax and let others sell their stuff how they see fit within whatever resources they have to sell them
  • Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭

<< <i>People need to relax and let others sell their stuff how they see fit within whatever resources they have to sell them >>

+1

Just because one person doesn't like it doesn't mean everyone has to. If you don't want to bid on reserve auctions just let them go by.