Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Game used memorabilia, anyone here collect? Just picked up my first!

I've been all over the map in what I want to collect the last year. I started with some PSA graded rookies like Montana/Rice/Rickey Henderson and moved to starting a vintage 61 Fleer basketball set. Recently, I've spent a couple grand on modern card breaks with the hope of pulling those low numbered jersey/autographed patch cards. I then realized that they just dont do it for me. I've decided to go to game used jerseys. I get all the patch I want on those bad boys. So I went and purchased my first game used jersey. A Kansas City Royals Mike Moustakas throwback/minor league type worn last year against the Twins. Here is an article on it, unfortunately I can't post pictures as I am firewalled.

<< <i>MINNEAPOLIS -- The Royals sported a different look for the night portion of Saturday's day-night doubleheader: replica uniforms of the 1951 Kansas City Blues, once the city's Minor League franchise and affiliate of the New York Yankees.

On the sleeve is an imposing patch noting "Golden Jubilee," in honor of the American Association's 50th anniversary that year.

It's in collaboration with the Twins, clad in the uniforms of the 1951 Minneapolis Millers for a salute to the city's longtime club that was once home to the likes of Willie Mays, Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski. In fact, Mays and fellow Hall of Famer Hoyt Wilhelm played on the '51 Millers team.

The '51 Blues included a young center fielder named Mickey Mantle, sent down in July by the Yankees after a disappointing start. He wore No. 20 and was so upset by the demotion, he considered quitting the game until his father, Mutt, gruffly challenged him. Mantle stayed, hit .361 in 40 games and got back with the Yankees permanently.

The road uniforms were gray with dark blue "Kansas City" on the front and numerals on the back and dark blue caps. Other notable members of the '51 Blues were Bob Cerv, Jackie Jensen and Clint Courtney.

<< <i>

So there's a lot of history behind the team and I'm just glad to have finally settled on something I'm going to enjoy. Sure I'll buy packs here and there and still pick up rookie cards of all time greats but I just dont see any kind of game used insert that'll be better than from where it originated from. I'll be picking up jerseys/shoes from the three major sports, MLB, NFL and NBA and possibly dabble into the NHL.

Comments