Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about website: Fleur de Coin

I zigged when I should have zagged on the internet today and found myself here. Fleur de coin

Anyone ever delt with them? Aside from the dutch, I can make it through the descriptions albeit slowly.

I'm still very new to world coins, and am really more interested in design elements that catch my eye.

Would you say the examples of what's on this website could be had for a better price and closer to home i.e. in the US?

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    I looked at a couple of British coins for sale. Both are graded 'FDC" (neither is by any stretch, in fact one of them looked cleaned), and the 1902 shilling I saw there was priced pretty high for the date.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    Thank you wybrit.

I hadn't heard of "FDC" before and had to look it up.

It's a good day when you learn something new.

Fleur du Coin

FDC

This only applies to proof coins and these coins are absolutely perfect, without any marks, wear or blemishes.
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭
    I really kind of like this one.

Lijst19 Nr.747/ 1554 - Bureau des Finances - Vlaanderen - Dugn.1966 - Cu 28mm. - Fraai+ (TB+) - 65 €

Although I'm not in love with it for 65 euro.

I do like the Holy Roman Empire iconography (if I'm wrong on this please let me know.)
    Reminds me of a show taler I own, John Sobieski Battle of Vienna.
  • Options

<< <i>Thank you wybrit.

Fleur du Coin

FDC

This only applies to proof coins and these coins are absolutely perfect, without any marks, wear or blemishes. >>

The use of FDC or Fleur du Coin has become rather blurred in recent times. Here in the UK in it strictest terms FDC only applies to proof coinage. The highest grade for a currency piece would be UNC.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    here in the Netherlands FDC means the colour / finish on a coin , a frosted look which wears off quickly when mishandled or in circulation.
    it's a grade apart from the condition of a coin, in papercurrency grading its called PPQ or EPQ ( Extra Fine Quality of the paperfinish laquer ) forinstance: 58 aUNC PPQ - 35 Vey Fine EPQ
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thank you wybrit.

Fleur du Coin

FDC

This only applies to proof coins and these coins are absolutely perfect, without any marks, wear or blemishes. >>

The use of FDC or Fleur du Coin has become rather blurred in recent times. Here in the UK in it strictest terms FDC only applies to proof coinage. The highest grade for a currency piece would be UNC. >>

heh, kind of like on EBAY, grep for UNC BU image
  • Options
    Hyperion Wrote - The use of FDC or Fleur du Coin has become rather blurred in recent times. Here in the UK in it strictest terms FDC only applies to proof coinage. The highest grade for a currency piece would be UNC. >>

Right one point with that post. It's quite interesting how many different ways it is used today. In the United States, it's pretty much reserved for coins fitting the original FDC definition.

Joe

Ancient Galleon, llc