Home Precious Metals

Calculating melt value of non-standard silver coins

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
All the net calculators I have found have just the standard US coins for melt values.
90%, 40$, buff nickels at 35%....

I have some world coins that aren't worth more than melt value that I am trying to help the M-I-L with and I don't think I am calculating it correctly, so wanted to check here.

Most of the coins are .70 silver (a few are still .900 so that is easier.).

They are Philippine coins and are 10, 20, and 50 centavos (similar to our dimes, quarters, and 50 centers).

Also, once they are calculated, knowing they aren't 90% coins and that dealers discount on the 40% coins as they aren't as popular, what % of melt value do you think would be fair?

The MIL is 70, so I prefer doing this for her rather than letting her get sharked, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this site currency debasement
  • nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761

<< <i>I like this site currency debasement >>

Love it already! Thanks for sharing!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Very handy website indeed! Thanks!

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guys says that the rate used to by 80% of melt x .8 for 80% coins. 70% of melt x .7 for 70% coins. 60% of melt x .6 for 60% and so on..
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The people we ship too, pays accordingly:

80% silver at 72% melt
    70% silver at 62% melt
    60% silver at 50% melt

(also if I might add) If a coin is for example .624 or 62.4 %, you round down, not up)

everything 50% and lower they really don't like and pay half melt

However, I have found that with the silver price at 24 (like recently) you can get better money on ebay by grouping a lot together even counting in the fee's.

Back when silver was 40 Plus, literally everything was melted