Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA slab destroyed by USPS!!

I just received a card that appears to have been mangled in the sorting maching. The top right corner is torn to shreads but no damage to the card. What is my recourse with the USP??

Comments

• Don't imagine it's USPS problem if the seller didn't package it properly. Was it insured?
  • daprodapro Posts: 209 ✭✭
    I think USPS covers up to $50 on Priority mail. Is this an expensive card?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    No, it was an $8.00 card, but it was definitely done by the USPS, you can see black marks on the outside of the packaging and they had to re-tape the package. It was ripped across the label to the point that my address was not visible and they has to hand write it on the package.
  • Ebay purchase? Just file a not as described claim.

<< <i>Ebay purchase? Just file a not as described claim. >>

Yes, eBay purchase, but I know that it not the seller's fault.
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    The post office machines a card, so stick the seller for it? Wow...so much for good faith.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • It is absolutely the sellers fault for not making the package non-machinable.
  • Before others start making assumptions on if it was the sellers fault or the PO's, can you post a picture of the package so we all know exactly what it was sent in?
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I think the only choice here is quitting the hobby!!!

Just kidding, if it was not insured, I dont think you have too many options. But, im sure others here can help you I bet.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!

• I had a psa 10 card heavily damaged by what looked like a steam roller went over it. I simply refunded the buyer and chalked it up. It only happens once in a blue moon
    It never leaves you...
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I had a psa 10 card heavily damaged by what looked like a steam roller went over it. I simply refunded the buyer and chalked it up. It only happens once in a blue moon >>

For a "new" guy you are making sense. I am glad for that! There are enough morons here already.

I would like to see a photo of the package as well, but when it comes down to it, the seller is nearly ALWAYS at fault.

I sold a beautiful 1971 PSA 8 Dick Butkus card, shipped in a padded mailer, case was perfect. Buyer contacted me, said it was cracked, didn't affect card. I refunded his money and got the card back. VERY MINOR crack, offered it again on ebay, showing crack, couldn't sell it. Reholdering only costs $5.00 but PSA nails you on return shipping, ended up spending $20.00 to get a sell-able card.

This is the only time this has happened to me, now I try to make sure the package is too thick to put in their card crushing sorter, but there's no guarantee it won't happen again.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Sorry don't know how to attach a picture from an iPad. But there is a big black steak about 2.5 inches wide on the back of the bubble envelope.
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>But there is a big black steak about 2.5 inches wide on the back of the bubble envelope. >>

Cajun style?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    Can you get a card re-holdered if you do not have a PSA membership??
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can you get a card re-holdered if you do not have a PSA membership?? >>

I think you can, but with the $5 charge and the shipping to and fro, It'll cost you about $25 for your $8 card. Point is, it wasn't packaged properly, that's what the USPS will tell you, better to just send it back to the seller as a SNAD. Seller didn't do his job, you shouldn't be out a penny in this transaction.
    Oops, streak.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭
    I once received a psa 10 broke in half with only half the holder attached from the post office. Only happened once, got a refund and moved on.

But it was disturbing seeing the card arrive like that.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Oops, streak. >>

HAHAHAHAHA
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

<< <i>I once received a psa 10 broke in half with only half the holder attached from the post office. Only happened once, got a refund and moved on.

But it was disturbing seeing the card arrive like that. >>

From the seller??
  • it is the sellers responsibility to get the item to you as it is presented in the listing.
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Good luck getting anything from the USPS. I have found over the years that they just don't care and it's never their fault.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wouldn't sweat it for an $8 card. Sucks that it happened, but the postage is almost half the value of the card.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I still say that hitting a seller with a blind SNAD is flat out rude. Contact the seller with what happened and see what he says. You can always push him if he doesn't do the right thing, but most will. I've had this happen once in the last few years and if you have bought from me, you know that I wrap in bubble wrap and a bubble envelope, but once in a blue moon, things do happen.

I took the card back, no questions, finished cracking the case, and added it raw to one of my orders, with the flip inserted with a note, so it only cost me the $5~.

I've only had one seller ever not do the right thing in a case like this, 4sc, who told me the order was delivered, not their problem.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am one that likes to hear both sides before making a judgement. In this case, the picture of the packaging will tell the story for the seller mostly and one can determine if he packaged it properly. If he made no effort to protect the card, i.e. using corrugated cardboard and/or bubble wrap in addition to the bubble mailer, then he would most likely be at fault. If he did go to those steps and it did happen, the fault most likely lies with the USPS. Does that mean that the seller should not reasonably compensate the buyer? No. Like Mini Duff said, many would most likely do the right thing without further involvement. Many sellers on eBay are hobbyists just like ourselves and would like for the right thing to be done if the shoe was on the other foot.
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭
    I recently had this experience with a PSA-graded card I thought had been well packaged. It was a 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan PSA 8(OC). I refunded the buyer after he sent the card back. I had insured the card prior to shipping, and now I am trying to figure out how to file a claim with the USPS. One thing I don't have is the damaged package or even a picture of it. And, I'm trying to figure out how to file the USPS claim online. So far, the insurance I put on the card prior to shipping hasn't done me any good.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

I've only made one insurance claim ever, and it was a doozy for me at the time. It was how I learned about the need for more than just a bubble mailer. A 1989 Score Griffey 10 that I sold for 300 got snapped neatly in 2. It took two months and a wild scene by me in the PO, but eventually they reimbursed me. At first they tried to tell me the claim was invalid because it had to be made by the buyer, who had simply sent it back to me in a box with the original packaging all nicely machined.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions