Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who are the Franklin Half Guru's 'round here these days?

Since Bushmaster got booted it just doesn't seem as "Frankie" around here anymore.

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crickets........

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154
    Skyman.
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jcarney.

GeorgiaCop.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    Awesome, thanks!
  • Options
    Ahhhh, heck, we can't have a Frankie thread without some pix...

• Options
    Wondercoin (Mitch)
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Decent bell lines for a 53S...

• Options
    Great idea, I'll play image

• Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    This thread needs more pics! This is one i wish I never sold! Was graded by ngc Ms66 fbl and always felt it should of went 67. Bad pics but it gives ya an idea image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like old Ben, baldness and all.

Cameo proof Franklins are my favorite, but I also like the mint set toners from 1948-1958, plus blast white MS Franklins with strong strikes and minimal marks are also very nice.

Cheersimage
  • Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭
    ......Drooooooool

SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options

<< <i>I like old Ben, baldness and all.

Cameo proof Franklins are my favorite, but I also like the mint set toners from 1948-1958, plus blast white MS Franklins with strong strikes and minimal marks are also very nice.

Cheersimage >>

So you don't like post 1958 toners like this? image

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me. image

imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skyman:

Toners from 1959-1963 are also great, even better than the 1948-1958 toners since they are so much harder to locate.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I like old Ben, baldness and all.

Cheersimage >>

So you don't like post 1958 toners like this? image

image >>

What, did you find that in a bag o' Morgans?

• Options

<< <i>...What, did you find that in a bag o' Morgans? >>

I found it the old fashioned way. Someone else posted it to another set of boards and I begged for that person to put me # 1 on their list when he wanted to sell it. He was kind enough to do so.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>...What, did you find that in a bag o' Morgans? >>

I found it the old fashioned way. Someone else posted it to another set of boards and I begged for that person to put me # 1 on their list when he wanted to sell it. He was kind enough to do so. >>

How do you think it toned that way? It looks like textile toning. Wrapped in cloth perhaps?

• Options
    I love franklins. Here is my favorite pick I've made. I love the varieties and the toners.

• Options
    CoinflipCoinflip Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

SMILEFORSOMECHANGE LLC
    RAD#306

• Options
    Franklin Project 1 of 2 Replace and fill holes with nice colorful pieces. Not a home for monsters just tasty Frankies image

• Options
    Oops, my first double post image
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Pictures?? Okay, I'm in for one.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options

<< <i>Franklin Project 1 of 2 Replace and fill holes with nice colorful pieces. Not a home for monsters just tasty Frankies image

image >>

Lotsoluck, my first Franklin set, when I was 11-12 was in a Capitol holder just like that. I wish I would have kept it.

• Options
    ColonelKlinckColonelKlinck Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ant Franklin thread requires I pull this one out:

• Options
    djdilliodondjdilliodon Posts: 1,938 ✭✭
    This thread is making me wanna get some more franklins! I think this weekend I'm going to go hunting and have a dealer in mind who has a TON of franklins in plastic tubes. I've cherry picked some monster toners, high grade pieces, FBL's, and varieties. I'm gonna hunt for 59 ddr's and 59 P/59 D goiter's. Hopefully I can give u all a nice update on what I find image.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How could you all forget Lucy?image
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a choice to gem album set of business strike Franklins, and many duplicates, also a set of proofs from 1953 to 63, here are a couple of favorites

imageimage

imageimage

Thanks for reminding me of these, I haven't looked at a Franklin recently and forgot how nice they can be. I bought most of these 10 to 20 years ago

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>How could you all forget Lucy?image >>

Oh, I've never forgotten Hepkitty!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
  • Options
    Sometimes the proofs tone up nice, too!
  • Options
    The other thing that's nice about Frankies is they don't have to break the bank. I don't think I paid more than $75 for this beauty, which was originally in an old ANACS holder.
  • Options
    Thanks to all those who posted here, I got more than I bargained for image
  • Options
    Hey,don't forget meimage

[/URL]">Text
  • Options
  • Options
    Grip, that would look nice in my Capitol holder image
  • Options

<< <i>Grip, that would look nice in my Capitol holder image >>

I will check to see if I still own it.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a beaut white Capital set at the ANA for about $1200.... anybody know who snagged it?

The seller said many of the coins were hi-grade crackouts and I believe him... it was a super matched set.

There was at least one nice variety coin in it.
  • Options
    Some nice looking Frankies everyone!!!!

As far as the Hepkitty goes, I haven't seen her around here in a while, hence my not mentioning her name.

With regards to the 1960 and the toning process, '60's sometimes get a linear striation pattern (as do some 1959's), hence that part of the toning pattern. (FWIW, no one has been able to explain WHY this pattern occurs... the closest to a reasonable answer that I've heard is that something may have occurred with some of the sheets of silver when they were being rolled out). As for the rest of the toning pattern you will see that the coin is an EOR coin... you can see some of the linear folding lines.

EOR's on a Franklin can be quite fun. Here's a 1958 (PCGS MS65FBL) that IMO is an EOR also.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holy crap!!!!!!

omg I hope I don't fall back into collecting Franklinsimage

<< <i>Ant Franklin thread requires I pull this one out:

image >>

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I share probably my most favorite coin in my entire set ... the pop 1/0 1949-D in MS66+FBL

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just back from head down and tail up and looking forward to feet up for a few days...SkyMan immediately comes to mind in conjunction with his love for Astronaut memorabilia... Not to mention his name but I do believe he is on the forum and shares a table with the Numismatist at winter FUN every year has an amazing collection of Frankies... Then a gentleman I had the pleasure of chatting with on here Ronyahski... I had the pleasure of viewing a few of his Frankies that he had acquired during his 30+ years of collecting them....

ABimage
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Wonder why Ronyahaski stopped posting... he had some mind blowers!

Every 49-D MS66 I see is some degree of ho-hum. And then there is Wondercoins! Whoo-weee!

How is the luster on that coin WC? I can't get any sense of luster from that color shot...any luster shots?
  • Options
    rawmorganrawmorgan Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How could you all forget Lucy?image >>

Oh, I've never forgotten Hepkitty!

image >>

This is who sprung to mind just from reading the title.

• Options
    Just some awesome stuff here and it keeps getting better. So I shall continue to stimulate this thread image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file