Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is mid baseball wax starting to dry up??

I am noticing that pricing on 82, 83 and even 84 Topps wax is getting pricier. Was looking for an 84 wax box on BBCE and D&A's and neither had them.

Comments

• bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    What's drying up to you?

I don't think people are ripping it all that much. It's being collected and hoarded. People are expecting to cash in. That's not dry to me. If I'm wrong and these prices are really from supply going down due to ripping and it's really all with collectors who want it just to have it, then my 2 year old son can go to college on what I have. But, I bet he'll just get a years worth of books when it all settles down.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15

• << <i>What's drying up to you?

I don't think people are ripping it all that much. It's being collected and hoarded. People are expecting to cash in. That's not dry to me. If I'm wrong and these prices are really from supply going down due to ripping and it's really all with collectors who want it just to have it, then my 2 year old son can go to college on what I have. But, I bet he'll just get a years worth of books when it all settles down. >>

Sell now while its hot! I believe its being hoarded as well. After 86, if anyone is hoarding that, then that really tells you how much of that is available because that shows no signs of drying up.

If not hoarded, then at least collected in an unopened state.
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>I don't think people are ripping it all that much. It's being collected and hoarded. People are expecting to cash in. That's not dry to me. >>

I agree some of it is being hoarded by people hoping the rising prices of 70's material will extend into 80's. We have already seen some price increases, albeit not at the rate of earlier product, in this segment due to more buyers/hoarders/speculators entering it. Regardless if it is opened or tucked away in hopes of appreciating, it is still off the market for the time being.

This era happens to coincide with the beginning of the hobby boom and a lot of kids who experienced it are now getting to the age where many have more disposable income and an increased appreciation for nostalgia. Couple that with earlier decades becoming increasingly cost prohibitive and I believe there is opportunity to see prices increase, at least for the early and mid 80's products.

Snorto~
  • 1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    I'm sure it's just a ripple effect of the 70s stuff getting scarcer/pricier/hoarded. The 70s stuff has gotten quite pricy, so people are looking to the next market to buy, and that's all the pre-86 stuff.
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's drying up to you?

I don't think people are ripping it all that much. It's being collected and hoarded. People are expecting to cash in. That's not dry to me. If I'm wrong and these prices are really from supply going down due to ripping and it's really all with collectors who want it just to have it, then my 2 year old son can go to college on what I have. But, I bet he'll just get a years worth of books when it all settles down. >>

my son just started his second year at Ohio U and all I would recommend is if you think you will be able to pay for a few years of his books you probably should go out and buy some more boxes.......a lot more boxes.....unless the boxes you already have are from the 70's

al.
  • Let me chime in with my 2 cents worth. We are all aware that unopened product from 1980 and earlier has dried up and the escalation of prices have reflected that. In a number of cases, prices have more than doubled in just the last 12-18 months. The next most logical area for those wishing to obtain unopened is 1981-1985. There is still fairly good availability, a good number of HOF's, and prices are reasonable. I think these five years have a chance for a modest increase (and I emphasize modest) over the next few years. Perhaps we could see a 20%-40% increase in price over todays numbers. As for items from 1986 through the 1990's, very few (not all but very few) will show any appreciable increase in value.
    Now, having said all that, it's simply my opinion. As I have often stated, I've been wrong before (anyone collecting Ben Grieve autographed 8x10's???). If I could predict price increases with certainty my stock portfolio would be the envy of Warren Buffet and he'd be seeking advice from me.
    However, let's not lose sight of the most important thing. That is, this is a hobby. Collect not only what appeals to you for enjoyment but also only what you can afford. If you stick to that philosophy you'll be happy.

Doug
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>However, let's not lose sight of the most important thing. That is, this is a hobby. Collect not only what appeals to you for enjoyment but also only what you can afford. If you stick to that philosophy you'll be happy. >>

+1
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.