Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Am I the only wacky person here ?

Or are there other wacks in the sports card forum ?

image[/URL]

Comments

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    I dont have any right now, but I remember an 8 year old boy who cherished these as much as his sports cards back in 1973.image
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    They are on my list to collect when I get a couple other things complete. I do have 79 sets and up.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    My daughter collects them, new ones that is. I bought them back in the 70s, my favorites were Beastball and Playbug!!
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    sorry for the crappy pic, have complete 1973/74 series 1 thur 4 plus at least one pack of each color (red isn't included, finally picked up one about 2 years ago)

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• I bought and opened an orange pack recently. It was in a GAI 9 holder. Cards were all beat up.
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really tough to open wacky wax looking for gradeable stickers...with only two per pack, one has a gum stain....long odds....
    At last, a discussion about unopened wax where I can hold my own with jmoran19! image

60 different series 1-16 packs....

<< <i>At last, a discussion about unopened wax where I can hold my own with jmoran19! image

60 different series 1-16 packs....

image >>

LOL, nice!

I've open a few 8th series and 12th series packs about 10 years ago and got some nice cards but as Paul mentioned 2 cards plus a CL per pack. Series 1 (my dad smoked pall mall's) and series 4 are the ones I remember opening the most as a kid

P.S. The packs i did open as an adult did move sequentially image

<< <i>

P.S. The packs i did open as an adult did move sequentially image >>

Wackys almost always follow a "knight's move" pattern within the pack based on their position on the uncut sheet. Not too much to go on since, except for series 1,2,14,15 and 16 (white backed series) there's always a checklist showing through the back seal.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I don't have any to share, but at least I knew what I was going to see when I opened this thread for a change. image

Really nice unopened packs guys!!! Any unopened pack is great in my book.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    series 2 pack with gyppy pop on the back, gloom should be the other sticker.

<< <i>series 2 pack with gyppy pop on the back, gloom should be the other sticker.

>>

Yep, most likely. Unfortunately the first series is a lot harder to tell because of stickers appearing in multiple sheet positions...so several possibilities for a pack like this:

image  image

These early series packs are nice because the checklist gets the gum stain and the back facing card gets a removable wax stain.....
    NICE! Is that the only series 1 you have? I really need one

My educated guess is after 6 up you would either get spray nit or maddie boy

John

I feel your pain, 1st series packs have gotten extremely tough. I do have this one too, but I need to keep them both due to the different
    fold variations....

image  image

Ah the old 85 fold, dang both those look like they are box fresh, congrats

Oh, and after coffe it's either pure hex or grave train

Thanks, they are both in great shape. It wasn't easy to get them, I assure you. I had to put out $1700 for someone's entire pack collection to get the first one. The second one required three years of persistent begging to finally pry free image
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    These are really cool. I might get into collecting these when I'm near finishing my player collections.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • PLEHRPLEHR Posts: 102
    So what year are all these WP being shown? Around 2004 I opened two really nice 1974 Topps Fun Bags for all the Topps sports packs and I sold all the WP on eBay. All the WP in both bags were green and there were ether 6 or 8 WP in each bag.
  • SlangNRoxSlangNRox Posts: 774 ✭✭
    I collected as a kid. Have the most common 1980s uncut sheet framed. I figure its the most common since I saw a sellers picture with probably a 2-3 foot stack of them
  • So what's tougher to get, the 1967 wax packs, or the 1973 first series packs ?

image[/URL]

• << <i>These are really cool. I might get into collecting these when I'm near finishing my player collections. >>

Add to your favorites........

All wacky packages ever made
    Lots of good sites, but to me the best will always be:

Greg Grant's Wacky Pages

<< <i>So what year are all these WP being shown? Around 2004 I opened two really nice 1974 Topps Fun Bags for all the Topps sports packs and I sold all the WP on eBay. All the WP in both bags were green and there were ether 6 or 8 WP in each bag. >>

They were produced in 1967 (the die cuts) and then from 1973-1975 (peel and stick).

I wish I had one of those green fun packs, they used to be pretty abundant, but I've been looking for one for years without success.

<< <i>So what's tougher to get, the 1967 wax packs, or the 1973 first series packs ?

>>

I'd have to say the 1st series packs are much tougher. I've seen at least 5 die cut packs on eBay in the last few years, and maybe two 1st series packs in the last ten years...

imageimage

<< <i>

<< <i>These are really cool. I might get into collecting these when I'm near finishing my player collections. >>

Add to your favorites........

All wacky packages ever made >>

Done! Thanks.
    For those of you that collect these, are there any other neat non-sports cards I might be interested in that I may not have come across yet?

<< <i>For those of you that collect these, are there any other neat non-sports cards I might be interested in that I may not have come across yet? >>

I'm also partial to 1966 batman cards

<< <i>Ah the old 85 fold, dang both those look like they are box fresh, congrats

Oh, and after coffe it's either pure hex or grave train >>

John -

Check out this auction, it illustrates that the Knight's Move used in the die cut packs was different from what we're observing in the original series.

Specifically, the movement is down and to the right, rather than up:

Wacky Die Cut opened pack auction

Edit: I see the auction was pulled, but the cards from the pack were:

Weakies
    Pure Hex
    Mutts
    Dopey Whip
    Jail-O

• kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭
    You know how you remember certain things from your childhood that still seem so clear decades later. For me, Wacky Packages is one of those memories. As a 13 year old growing up in Kentucky, I remember the kid who lived behind our house, Glen Keys (who also had some very hot sisters) showed me Wacky Packages for the first time. I remember being in his basement and reading each and every one he had, laughing hysterically at these amazing stickers. After reading them , I just had to get some of my own. When he said he got them at the O & L store, I immediately got on my bike, complete with banana seat and sissy bar and rode there and purchased some. Like other folks here, I loved them as much as my baseball cards. Some of my favorites are Head and Boulders, Crust, Moron Salt and Weakies. All products I still use to this day. I credit Topps and Wacky Packages for my demented demeanor that I am known for today.
    Man, those were some fun times.

Peace,
    Logan

I see a few wacky cards in PSA 10 coming up in a future PWCC auction. Here are the scans:

imageimageimage

Auction Link
  • What did ya'll think about those 1973 1st series cards that ended Sunday afternoon ?

Are those normal prices, or did they go higher then expected ?

<< <i>What did ya'll think about those 1973 1st series cards that ended Sunday afternoon ?

Are those normal prices, or did they go higher then expected ? >>

I would say some of the 9's went higher, and some went lower than I expected. The 8's were generally soft, but the 9's were pretty strong, especially the tougher titles.

The Band-Ache went about $400 higher than it probably should have, but it's the only 8.5, and the only three higher graded examples are pretty much off the market. Besides, I just had to have it image