Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone ever build a set sequentially?

Meaning you go card by card, starting with card #1 then #2 and so on.

I've never done it but always thought it'd be kinda fun and it would be an orderly (albeit lengthy) way to build a set.
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• QUITCRABQUITCRAB Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭
    Your out of your mind ! LOL

I like collecting them one at a time in reverse order...those high numbers are tough
  • DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Never even crossed my mind to pursue a set that way. I don't think I would attempt it.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • I agree it would be kind of fun, but wow. Set building (if you're picky about quality) is challenging enough as it is, and you just bumped up the degree of difficulty by a factor of 10.

I suppose I am on my way if I wanted to do it with the '74 Topps set. I own precisely one card in that set, and it's the Hank Aaron #1. image
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm doing the 69 Basketball set in high grade somewhat this way.................. I KNOW THE LAST CARD (CHECKLIST) WILL BE LAST.image
  • Back in the old days, I used to do it by ethnicity. Then political correctness kicked in.............
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    As long as you want to drive yourself crazy, why don't you do it based on the age of the players, from youngest to oldest. If you have two players born on the same day the tie-breaker should be using the third letter of the last name ... whichever letter comes first in the alphabet would be the guy you obtain first.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    In the 80's I did my basketball set based on height......Manute Bol was the last card I collected. Mugsy and Spud were my 1st and 2nd, followed by Michael Adams.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    sure why not. i also enjoy baseball games which feature over a dozen pitching changes, basketball games which lead to multitudes of timeouts and free throws in the last two minutes, NFL replays, and......oh yeah, sitting on the freeway trying to navigate my way home while my bladder is about to explode. image

• << <i>In the 80's I did my basketball set based on height......Manute Bol was the last card I collected. Mugsy and Spud were my 1st and 2nd, followed by Michael Adams. >>

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • How about by level of PED use suspicion?
  • dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    I probably wouldn't build a set that way because I could be passing up a hundred chances at card #54 while waiting for card #2. I have considered saving up an entire set and submitting them at once, so the flips would be numbered sequentially. That appeals to me. Since I have 45 sets of the 1986 Donruss Highlights, I am planning to do that down the line. Hopefully I can eye a perfect GEM MT 10 and sequentially flip'd set. image
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As long as you want to drive yourself crazy, why don't you do it based on the age of the players, from youngest to oldest. If you have two players born on the same day the tie-breaker should be using the third letter of the last name ... whichever letter comes first in the alphabet would be the guy you obtain first. >>

LOL! This reminded me of something I read once. "Everybody line up in a circle, alphabetically, according to height."
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As long as you want to drive yourself crazy, why don't you do it based on the age of the players, from youngest to oldest. If you have two players born on the same day the tie-breaker should be using the third letter of the last name ... whichever letter comes first in the alphabet would be the guy you obtain first. >>

LOL! This reminded me of something I read once. "Everybody line up in a circle, alphabetically, according to height." >>

Kind of like these street signs:
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might be fun to do with an vintage insert (i.e. Topps game or posters) or oddball set (1978 Holsum) in the under 50 total cards range, but I couldn't imagine doing it with a full Topps baseball set. Of course for set building, I like to start with either a partial set, couple/several large lots, or unopened breaks. It seems you'd pay an insane amount in shipping and probably miss ideal buying opportunities trying to go sequentially (or by age, height, etc.). Reverse order might make sense for multi-series sets where the high numbers are considerably shorter printed and assuming prices will rise over time.
  • Only with sets I don't like.image
  • jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    I need about 100 for my 1971 Topps baseball and have taken that approach off and on this year. I finally found the Klimkowski and then nabbed a bunch of others out of order but am back at it waiting on #122 Eddie Watt. Wrong forum, I know, but if you got one.....

I still like the John Cusack approach of going in autobiographical order for his record collection:

Dick: It guess it looks as if you're reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?
    Rob: No...
    Dick: Not alphabetical...
    Rob: Nope.
    Dick: What?
    Rob: Autobiographical.
    Dick: No f***n' way.

So I started off with the Ivan Dejesus because I remember everyone liked saying his name that way on the playground. Then I went with Mick Kelleher because I remember Bernie Kunkle won it from me by beating me in a game of PitFall. Now the Jim Wohlford, well everyone was grossed out by the mole so I had to get that third.
  • markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    My lifelong dream since I was a kid was to have every topps set. I need 1952-1975 excluding the 1971 set. I always thought it would be cool to buy card #1 from each of these sets, then card #2, etc. Since it will never happen, I may as well dream that they all PSA graded. That would be cool.