Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Identifying Ancients and Foreign Bronze Coinage

Here are photos of a few coins I am trying to identify. I know that one of the ancients is an Antoninus Pius but having trouble with the others. Also a few older foreign coins. These all came with a larger collection and I am learning as I go along. Any help getting me started is appreciated.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the ancients the top left looks like faustina jr, pius, modern penny, lower last two of the first pic also look to be faustina jr.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Bronzemat on the ancients. A good quick indicator is the "S C" you see on the reverses of two of the coins that you have in the first two photographs, the one being the Antonius Pius and the other the coin to the bottom right in the pictures. The initials stand for "Senatus Consulto," which means "by Decree of the Senate." The Senate had a rubber stamping authority to issue bronze coinage and this was the indicator of its approval. This continued on until about the mid 3rd century according to Sear.

The top row right and bottom row second from right are half pennies of George III of England. Look at Krause KM#647. The shield on the reverse tilts to the left whereas the George II issues his portrait faces left and the shield faces right.

The top left coin in the third photograph appears to be an issue of Phillip II of Spain from 1584. I am not familiar with that coinage but the PH and HISP would seem to indicate that direction.

• Options
    1509eric1509eric Posts: 43 ✭✭
    and the big one:

Prussia,

FR - "Fredericus Rex", Friedrich der Große (the great)

1 Pfennig Scheidemünze, A Mintmark Berlin
    collector from Germany
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all... helpful.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website