Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This is a better deal than it appears at first glance

Any Big Cat fans? The ebay link below is for Galarraga's first card I believe. From a Venezuela set. Beckett has it listed as 1980 number 107 while the seller says 1982 but it is clearly also card 107. Assuming the design changes each year, it appears to be from the same set that contained the 1981 Venezuelan Ryne Sandberg stickers e.g. #233. I don't mind the confusion, these aren't so easy to identify. Beckett doesn't show any other XRC Venezuelan cards for Galarraga. So I'm believing it's all one and the same card. Seller is charging $10 + $2.07 shipping. Note the location of the seller is noted as Miami. Here is where it got interesting. He had a second one of the very same card a month or so ago that I bought for the same deal of $10 + $2.07 shipping. 3 days after I paid, it arrives via a FedEx International letter from Venezuela and not Miami. I couldn't believe it. Must cost big $$$ to send so quick from South America to PA. I'm sure he used a corporate account or something along those lines. The card that arrived wasn't the exact same one in the picture, but it was the same card in very similar shape, so seller must have a few of them. But anyway, I don't need a second one, but given the provenance that the card is actually coming from Venezuela and not Miami, it's probably the real deal so someone on here might be interested to grab it knowing the inside scoop as it's not all that common to find.

FWIW, I like keeping the envelopes/boxes from my international purchases when purchasing a locally issued card and the return address of the seller is from the area where the card(s) were originally distributed. I feel it assists with the provenance such as in this case.

Cheers.

Early 80's Andres Galarraga from Venezuela

Comments

• Options
    Cool, thanks for sharing. Galarraga was literally a monster at the plate. I recall he had some great years with the Rockies.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    Pretty cool card. Would be a cool addition to anyone's collection that PC's him.
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galarraga was my favorite Expo growing up. Thanks for sharing.

-Nathanael
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galarraga is the reason I have a scar on my right elbow, the jerk image

So late one night I'm watching TV and I flip over to an Expos game. The details have blurred over the years but Galarraga hit a grand slam either to tie/win a game in the 9th or to win it in extra innings. For whatever reason, I had become wrapped up in this game, despite it being an NL game I didn't care about. Anyway, he hits the HR and I jump up and raise my fist in excitement. Doing do, I hit the ceiling fan/light over my head and bust the glass, sending shards showering down on me, slicing my arm. And so now I have a scar about 1/2" long on my right elbow.

Yeah, it was stupid image
  • Options
    Great card....hard to find examples in decent condition.

This Ryno from my PC is a favorite: