Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Clemens Pawtucket...Fake?

LINK

Is this a fake card in this PSA holder?

Comments

• Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    Yes. I emailed him a week or so ago within hours of his original listing it to let him know and he began at $499 and simply kept lowering the price. He recently relisted it. The bottom looks real frosty so probably a crack out original and slip in fake job. He never responded. I do not know why someone with a 2100+ reputation would put it at risk it. Probably just wants someone else to eat his mistake which really doesn't make him any better than the original scum that originally cracked it and sold the fake. I reported it to ebay when it was originally listed. Of course, they didn't do anything.

Another seller on ebay with a high rating is even more slimy as he intentionally blurred image to hide the fonts that makes a fake a dead giveaway. Albeit what do you expect from a Gem holder. He has other auctions with clear scans: fake 1986 ProCards Greg Maddux
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Thanks for the response and confirmation that this is a fake. I'd like to own this card someday. I'll message him as well.

jbox
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the response and confirmation that this is a fake. I'd like to own this card someday. I'll message him as well.

jbox >>

Coincidentally, there is a real PSA 9 for $499 obo out there on ebay too. He's taking offers so maybe you can snag it at a good price if it is to your liking: Real 1984 TCMA Clemens PSA 9
  • Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭
    I just sent the seller this message:

Just FYI. You seem like a good and reputable seller. I'm assuming you do not know this, but this clemens card is absolutely 100% fake. If this is something that PSA missed, you can probably get full card value from them for the mistake. If the holder has been tampered with and card swapped, then you may want to pursue the source of the card/holder. Just trying to help out. Jason

and received this response:

this card was NOT tampered with and I think that PSA knows how to grade a card.

So I responded with this:

By your tone it sounds like I offended you. I am sorry about that as it was certainly not my intention. PSA is the best, but they miss things and certainly missed this one. You should send them a scan of the front with the concerns. I think you would find they will agree that they missed this one. There's no downside for you to look into it. There may be a downside to selling a fake card. Again, just trying to be helpful to a fellow ebay seller.
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭
    The 'w' in Pawtucket should come to a sharp point on the real cards.
  • Options
    Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Well plot thickens. In addition to his PSA 9 holder containing a fake 1984 TCMA Clemens, he now lists 2 raw 1984 TCMA Clemens with the same picture in each listing. Image is a little fuzzy yet the raw card appears real at first glance - at least with respect to the correct parallel right side of the A and left side of the W, hence "AW" or "\". That raw card looks pretty nice and I could see it in a 9 holder. Could that hypothetically be the card that was cracked out and then perhaps hypothetically one might receive a raw fake in its place if you win it or BIN?

Raw TCMA Clemens 1
    Raw TCMA Clemens 2

Who is ready to call a spade a spade?