Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Update W/ No Big Deal Ending: Ebay Help - Buyer Threatens Neg Feedback on First Communication - Reco

I sold a Hulk Hogan auto photo via ebay last week. I sent it ASAP and it arrived in an expedited manner. I check my email this evening and I got the below msg from the buyer. Then I start scratching my head. This just sounds fishy to me. Why threaten neg feedback on first communication? The buyer has 60 total feedbacks left for him, all as a buyer. He bought similar wrestling autos items from other sellers, so I already have suspicions of the "story" with the special needs kid, mostly because some of the items from his feedback are of scantily clad female pro wrestlers and female model autos. My return policy was listed as: "No returns or exchanges, but item is covered by eBay Buyer Protection." Bottom Line: I am not looking to take a neg feedback strike, but I don't want to be duped into giving away free stuff.

I planned "report the buyer" for violating the following ebay policy: "When you bid on or buy an item, you're accepting the seller's terms as set out in their listing, provided they comply with our listing policies. You're entitled to expect that the seller will do what they've said with regards to shipping, payments, and returns. We know there are sometimes exceptional circumstances, and we allow reasonable and limited requests. However, the seller is not obligated to fulfill requests outside of their terms. Making unreasonable or excessive demands is not allowed. Using the threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or buyer protection cases to make such demands is considered extortion and is not allowed."

Based on what is listed below, do I have a shot a winning my buyer report? Or should I simply attempt to resolve this via the resolution center and move on? Note: I have edited out the ebay account names.

Dear XXXXXXXX,

I got pic today and I am not happy with it. The autograph is so dark you cant even seen it ! your pic on the listing shows the signature popping out this thing is absolutely terrible . I will be giving a negative feedback!! This pic was suppose to be given to my special needs child for his b day ..This is such a load of crap!!! What are you going to fix this problem before I contact ebay and leave negative feed back?

- XXXXXXX

Meatloaf

Comments

• Options
    First thing you should do is report the buyer for threatening negative feedback. After that I guess it depends on what your return policy is.
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Good news is that any negative he leaves you is going to be removed if you call ebay.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Tell him to return it if he is not happy.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell him to return it if he is not happy. >>

Bingo! We have a winner...
  • Options

<< <i>I sold a Hulk Hogan auto photo via ebay last week. I sent it ASAP and it arrived in an expedited manner. I check my email this evening and I got the below msg from the buyer. Then I start scratching my head. This just sounds fishy to me. Why threaten neg feedback on first communication? The buyer has 60 total feedbacks left for him, all as a buyer. He bought similar wrestling autos items from other sellers, so I already have suspicions of the "story" with the special needs kid, mostly because some of the items from his feedback are of scantily clad female pro wrestlers and female model autos. My return policy was listed as: "No returns or exchanges, but item is covered by eBay Buyer Protection." Bottom Line: I am not looking to take a neg feedback strike, but I don't want to be duped into giving away free stuff.

I planned "report the buyer" for violating the following ebay policy: "When you bid on or buy an item, you're accepting the seller's terms as set out in their listing, provided they comply with our listing policies. You're entitled to expect that the seller will do what they've said with regards to shipping, payments, and returns. We know there are sometimes exceptional circumstances, and we allow reasonable and limited requests. However, the seller is not obligated to fulfill requests outside of their terms. Making unreasonable or excessive demands is not allowed. Using the threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or buyer protection cases to make such demands is considered extortion and is not allowed."

Based on what is listed below, do I have a shot a winning my buyer report? Or should I simply attempt to resolve this via the resolution center and move on? Note: I have edited out the ebay account names.

Dear XXXXXXXX,

I got pic today and I am not happy with it. The autograph is so dark you cant even seen it ! your pic on the listing shows the signature popping out this thing is absolutely terrible . I will be giving a negative feedback!! This pic was suppose to be given to my special needs child for his b day ..This is such a load of crap!!! What are you going to fix this problem before I contact ebay and leave negative feed back?

- XXXXXXX

Meatloaf >>

The special needs child remark seems a pity plea to turn the heartstrings. Not saying its not the truth, but parents are quick to invoke children if it means getting a refund. That said, I would say something to the effect that the threatening tone is not necessary. If you feel a negative feedback is warranted, then go ahead. If you want to be civil and resolve the problem like adults, then simply stating the problem would suffice. And lastly, let him know you don't need to contact eBay to leave negative feedback.

If you dont care, let him leave negative feedback. Or tell him to return it, refund then block.
  • Options
    Dear XXXXXXXX, I got pic today and I am not happy with it. The autograph is so dark you cant even seen it ! your pic on the listing shows the signature popping out this thing is absolutely terrible . I will be giving a negative feedback!! This pic was suppose to be given to my special needs child for his b day ..This is such a load of crap!!! What are you going to fix this problem before I contact ebay and leave negative feed back? - XXXXXXX

Thankfully, since hes special needs he probably wont notice or care about how dark the signature is.
  • Options

Thankfully, since hes special needs he probably wont notice or care about how dark the signature is. >>

This is advice on what not to say correct?
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    It's obvious he is begging for something free or small refund of some sort. I would be polite and tell him to return it for full refund. Good luck!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tell him to return it if he is not happy. >>

This.

Ebay will side with him if he says item not as described, or he will be able to leave you a neg if transaction goes through.

Best thing for you is to offer a full refund and apologize for the problem.

List his ebay name on this forum and I for one will block him. Not a good idea to escalate because of his feedback threat at this time, but save the message in case you need it later.

Good luck,

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Pic of the item sold??
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pic of the item sold?? >>

auction linky

I see nothing wrong with your scan, I think it accurately describes the black signature on a black background. With the amount of money it sold for, I would ask the buyer to return it for a full refund. Relist it and maybe mention the black on black signature just to cover your butt next time.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thankfully, since hes special needs he probably wont notice or care about how dark the signature is. >>

I laughed before I could catch myself and then immediately went to hell.
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Yea, the buyer over-reacted with his response, but I have had that problem alot lately. 3 of the last 4 autographed photos I have bought over eBay have been juiced photos in which the signature are significantly harder to see on the actual photo, or the contrast was juiced so much that it looks like a greatly detailed photo on eBay, but the print itself is significantly under exposed.

Luckily, I haven't had any problems with returns yet.

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Finally an end to this saga. I kindly offered a refund w/o paying for return shipping or refunding the original shipping costs the buyer paid. The buyer agreed to the terms. I got the item back in the mail today. I completed the refund via paypal (got my paypal fee back) and got the transaction canceled (getting my final value fees back). No feedback yet from the buyer, but I made it clear threatening me w/ neg feedback = a violation of ebay's policies, so I don't expect much more drama here. Thank you to all who gave me the advice.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If the transaction has been cancelled I don't think any feedback can be left.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's