Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's the cutoff PSA grade for vintage RC investments?

Let's start with yes, I'm aware there are better investments than baseball cards.

Anyone have an opinion on what's the lowest grade you're safe buying a vintage RC if you're interested in a return on investment years down the road?

I know how the card looks vs. the grade factors into it, but as I start to put some stuff away for the youngsters I've been pondering.

For example, might it be PSA 5 for 1950s rookies? Hank Aaron, etc.? PSA 8 for 1970s rookies?

Part of me wants to just buy whatever is the highest grade I can afford (and maybe only buy a couple RCs a year like that)...but I think there's potential for growth in nicely centered, nice color mid-grades.

I know this is very subjective, but any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Part of me wants to just buy whatever is the highest grade I can afford (and maybe only buy a couple RCs a year like that)...but I think there's potential for growth in nicely centered, nice color mid-grades. >>

This!
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Part of me wants to just buy whatever is the highest grade I can afford (and maybe only buy a couple RCs a year like that)...but I think there's potential for growth in nicely centered, nice color mid-grades. >>

This! >>

Which do you feel is the better bet? A fewer high grade or more nicely centered/colored mid-grades?
  • Options

<< <i>

This! >>

this.

but if you must have a number, PSA 8 or better for pre-1970
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>Which do you feel is the better bet? A fewer high grade or more nicely centered/colored mid-grades? >>

High grades! Buy as much as you can afford, but be mindful that HOF Rookies in really high grade are selling for historic highs in certain cases, so educate yourself and take a position as to whether you feel it's a good time to jump into that area of the hobby or wait things out.
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Which do you feel is the better bet? A fewer high grade or more nicely centered/colored mid-grades? >>

High grades! Buy as much as you can afford, but be mindful that HOF Rookies in really high grade are selling for historic highs in certain cases, so educate yourself and take a position as to whether you feel it's a good time to jump into that area of the hobby or wait things out. >>

Good advice, thank you.