Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay Sellers for Raw Cards

Hi All,

I was wondering if any of you keep a list of larger, reputable ebay sellers that auction raw on a regular basis for 60's and 70's baseball. I have used seller gregmorriscards recently and have been happy with the accuracy in condition and quick processing. Would anyone be willing to share others? If you don't want to post here, I would welcome PMs.

Thanks!
Aaron

Comments

• Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    Zorbaca
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed on Greg Morris. I have also done well with klinger83 and newenglandsprotscards. As a general rule, I figure at least one grade lower than advertised for a raw purchase. Greg Morris seems to be the best out of those I mentioned.
    Daniel
  • Options
    I have bought from both and very good results with both. Accurate presentation and good service.
  • Options
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=885849

Here is a good thread we had on this topic before.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Awesome! Thanks, guys. Thanks, cardsfan, for posting the previous thread.
  • Options
    I have had good exchanges with eBay seller Mantlerulz.
    Working on 1971 Topps baseball set.
  • Options
    DtyDty Posts: 310 ✭✭
    I have had great luck and success with The battersbox.

I first found out about this company at the National a number of years ago, and have been buying from them ever since.

They have a catalog (old school) they send out, but also list a ton of cards on ebay. Website is www.the-battersbox.net

Hope this helps.

Tyler
    dty
    Link to my eBay Store: http://stores.ebay.com/halftimecardsandcollectibles/

Unopened Boxes, Packs, Cards, and Tickets

Just send me a PM or email me for discount off eBay pricing. Thanks
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have had great luck and success with The battersbox.

I first found out about this company at the National a number of years ago, and have been buying from them ever since.

They have a catalog (old school) they send out, but also list a ton of cards on ebay. Website is www.the-battersbox.net

Hope this helps.

Tyler
    dty >>

Bought some of the last few cards I needed for my 71 set from them. I was very happy with them
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Apple383 on eBay, also known here as member bbuckner22.

i'm giving Dave his props here and now, as i've always had perfect transactions with him and own some pretty darn nice cards from his auctions.

maybe he'll be back around in a couple weeks to provide us with some more useful commentary about current issues and cool cards.

see ya soon Dave!! image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not ebay, but mickeyssportscards.com is dynamite when completing sets - grades are right on.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Greg Morris yes, Battersbox yes. Up until my most recent purchase, I would have said zorbaca yes.... but I was very luke warm on the last batch of cards I bought from him.

'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    In my 2-3 experiences with Zorbaca they are overgraded by about 1 grade. I second Mickey's sportscards even though they aren't on eBay.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I have bought from newenglandsportscard, battersbox, and my newest find, siriussportsauctions-store. These last guys have some real nice 70-71's!
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gaspipe is also a good seller of raw cards. Lots of nice 70s cards for sale.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep a record of what grade the card is advertised as, what my grade opinion is once I have it in hand, and what grade it finally gets from PSA after I sub it. It is very hard to find sellers of raw cards that averages less than a half a grade from what they actually get after subbing. Sure, there are accuracies on 1 or 2 cards, but over a larger sample size (greater than 10 from the same seller is pretty much my minimum), overgrading is prevalent. I always bid a price as if it is 2 grades down while expecting the grade to actually come back only 1 grade down.

I like to feel confident that for the raw cards I sell, the grades I guess are as accurate as I can be to the best of my efforts and ability rather than intentionally overgrading for the sake of advertising, but I do send in anything worth grading to PSA myself and basically only sell the lower grade stuff raw. Also, I do say "best effort" since most of us have felt we had a sure-thing 9 or so only to have it come back as a 5 because of some tiny surface flaw we missed image
  • Options
    Thanks, guys. With regard to the vendors listed here that primarily do BIN formats, do you find that their prices are fair, or is it hit and miss on finding a deal?
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, guys. With regard to the vendors listed here that primarily do BIN formats, do you find that their prices are fair, or is it hit and miss on finding a deal? >>

Hit or miss. Gotta look at the specific card, the price and evaluate whether it's fair. Sometimes sellers will lower their pricing if a card sits. That's why some may be priced way high while others are more reasonable.
  • Options
    LOL - well, I learned a lesson the hard way.

I'm just starting to build some 70's sets. I purchased a lot of 75 topps baseball commons that was listed as EXMT to NM. The description stated that there is duplication, maybe 3 of the same card.

After sorting out the 30% of the lot that didn't meet my condition liking, I sorted the cards. Someone must have had a contract on certain players. Of the 100 cards remaining, I had:

8 Glenn Beckerts
    10 Bill Travers
    13 Duffy Dyers
    5 Joe Hoerners
    Many with 3 and 4 of each card

Feedback for the seller was pretty good, but I think I'll stick with more established sellers from now on.

DOH!
  • Options
    Has anyone purchased from ebayer jhustle1 and have any strong opinions either way on his grading of cards?

Thanks!
  • Options
    With all due respect......why would anyone share info as to sources for raw cards?
  • Options
    True Dat Carlos Danger!!
    Let me provide everyone with raw sellers that I get 9s and 10s on.
  • Options

<< <i>With all due respect......why would anyone share info as to sources for raw cards? >>

With all due respect = Internet Rodney Dangerfield.

People collect stuff. Why not share info amoungst hobbyists?

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With all due respect......why would anyone share info as to sources for raw cards? >>

Because we are a community of collectors. I've picked up some great information on this board over the past 2 years.
    Daniel
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I will share that I have found all of the ones I use for my 1970 raw cards overstate the grade by at least one grade. Unfortunately MINT is never mint. There is always one minor issue that can't be seen on the scan
    that can be seen under a good light. I never learn my lesson though and keep trying.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

indeed. as if every shark in the tank didn't know already.
  • Options
    I apologize if the information I am trying to obtain is found offensive.

I've never submitted a card to PSA for grading and don't have any plans. I am currently focused on building a 65, 70, 71, and 72 set in EXMT+. As I come across sellers who have cards from these years, I naturally become curious if they represent their product accurately.

So, my last question was regarding jhustle1. There are a few items from these years up for auction right now. If anyone is willing to share their experience with this seller, I would be most appreciative. If you do not wish to post on the board, please PM me.

I appreciate the help you guys have provided in the past.

Thanks!
    Aaron
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>I apologize if the information I am trying to obtain is found offensive.

The information your requesting isn't offensive. I'll always divulge a good source for particular cards i'm interested in. It doesn't really matter. If I get outbid on a nice raw card today,I'll get the next one. Most of us are on some kind of budgets so we're not buying cards all the time. I find that the fun of buying raw cards is searching for just the right one,deciding on how much to pay for it (usually a grade or two below advertised) follow the bidding and get hammered in the last 5 seconds or not....... The guys that buy and sell for an important source of their income probably feel different.
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    Hi All,

I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone has had dealings with tripleplayvintage on ebay. I have yet to purchase anything from them, although, there have been some items of interest I've passed on. Reviewing their feedback, eventhough they are at 99.1%, they would seem lack-luster compared to our other high volume friends. The most common complaint is failure to send card, or condition is worse than advertised.

Granted, the most logical response would be to proceed with caution and to assume condition is worse than advertised, but I wanted to see what the folks who purchased from them thought about their acquisition(s).

Any and all input is appreciated! Thanks!
  • Options
    Triple Play Vintage-NO!! Unless you can wait 3 to 4 weeks for your grossly over graded cards, and have the time to open an eBay case when he doesn't respond back to you, don't do it
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • Options

<< <i>Triple Play Vintage-NO!! Unless you can wait 3 to 4 weeks for your grossly over graded cards, and have the time to open an eBay case when he doesn't respond back to you, don't do it >>

Thanks, buckner. For every 1 negative or neutral, there are 99 positives, but knowing my luck, I'd be in the 1%. It's funny how 99.1% on ebay makes us put up the red flag. Seems like anything under 99.8% automatically sends the seller down a tier.
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I have some commons from TPV and all were overgraded, by as much as two grades.

Also there's many posts here about people receiving trimmed cards from them. My cards weren't trimmed but still sucks buying a card listed as nrmt and receiving one that is ex, or with crappy staining or whatever.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Triple Play Vintage-NO!! Unless you can wait 3 to 4 weeks for your grossly over graded cards, and have the time to open an eBay case when he doesn't respond back to you, don't do it >>

Thanks, buckner. For every 1 negative or neutral, there are 99 positives, but knowing my luck, I'd be in the 1%. It's funny how 99.1% on ebay makes us put up the red flag. Seems like anything under 99.8% automatically sends the seller down a tier. >>

i actually met him and his wife in chantilly in july 2013. buying from them is a hit and miss. i did pick up 2 ungraded 1982 topps #21 ripken's that turned into 9.5's and a 1971 rose that was a bvg 8. so not all bad.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    I suppose, with anything, there's no better way than to be able to examine the cards in person. Thanks to all for your responses.
  • Options
    Batters box has a dealer guy from Canada named Jason that gets to look thru the new stuff before "the common folk" can get to it.
    Am I right Maurice? What do you know about batters box sportscards that I need to be aware of?
  • Options
    It was mentioned earlier that bbuckner22 is ebay ID apple383. I'm just realizing I won a few cards from him on a 74 set break a few weeks ago and was very happy with what I got. Just want to give public acknowledgement and thanks.
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    siriussportsauctions.bbuckner22,battersbox and superbowl auctions are my go to guys.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)