Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I admit to being a little confused about PSA grading....

....and i summarily apologize to anyone whose card i declared unworthy.

wow

if someone could chime in with the micro measurements, graphs & matching examples, i'd be ever so humbly grateful.

Comments

• Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    Wow says it all. Maybe first card graded by a noob grader? No other plausible explanation. That card would look right at home in an SGC 88 slab. PSA . . . not so much. image
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    "NM-MT 8: Near Mint-Mint
    A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse."

The card is centered 73/27. It's a misgrade.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>It's a misgrade. >>

so you're saying it could be an accident? they do happen.
  • Options
    burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"NM-MT 8: Near Mint-Mint
    A PSA NM-MT 8 is a super high-end card that appears Mint 9 at first glance, but upon closer inspection, the card can exhibit the following: a very slight wax stain on reverse, slightest fraying at one or two corners, a minor printing imperfection, and/or slightly off-white borders. Centering must be approximately 65/35 to 70/30 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse."

The card is centered 73/27. It's a misgrade. >>

It's not the centering that gets me as much as the three corners that are as dog eared as a well read paperback.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • Options
    Nevermind the centering, the corners are not an 8.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    IMHO a six would be generous.
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not the centering that gets me as much as the three corners that are as dog eared as a well read paperback. >>

Dog-eared may be a bit exaggerated, but the card does look more like a PSA 6 Chaz.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>so you're saying it could be an accident? they do happen. >>

Slab doesn't look tampered with. Accident, negligence, or preferential treatment. Pick one.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    looks like GrandMasterB already did.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    my guess is there is a really nice psa 6 floating around and they mixed up the two when slabbing
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    or it was miskeyed when entering it into system.. and it should be a psa 5 and hit 8 by mistake.. just guessing obviously.. I have no idea what their practice is but this one
    screams human error.
  • Options
    I'm sorry...but the card says Moops...
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Methinks GMB is going to get a timeout from the mod if he leaves that comment as is. Lol
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    If graded properly....I'm not sure that would get a 6. 5 to 5.5 is what I think. Corner wear and centering. I would do 5.5

What happened to the 2-3 graders and then the review to verify the grade?image
  • Options
    MinorLeaguerMinorLeaguer Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm sorry...but the card says Moops... >>

Moors!
  • Options
    Something obviously is wrong with that grade. Either a mix up (maybe there is a real nice Musial sitting in a Psa 6 holder) or something fishy with the seller.
    Remember baseball When it was a game?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>my guess is there is a really nice psa 6 floating around and they mixed up the two when slabbing >>

+1

Mechanical error for sure (I hope at least!)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    It is really an OPC mislabeled as a Topps??
  • Options
    6 bazillion cards graded and a few hundred get picked on here. I like the ratio's.
  • Options
    GMB's comment is probably the funniest I've read on here in a while. Lmbo

I agree with Doug however.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I admit to being confused about this one, too....who can tell me why >>

His teeth?... or maybe the massive PD on the back. Guess the GMB method works.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A cert with 217 is a recently graded card so it must have been in a lower grade slab prior. That is my guess.

• Options
    or graded at the National.
  • Options
    All of the cards posted so far that were graded at the National have had cert's that start with a 3.

I am not positive if all of the cards graded have that but so far it seems to be the case.

• Options
    btw LarkinCollector, that's a low blow about Double D's teeth. i'll get you for this.

you're messin' with my childhood idol now. image
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>btw LarkinCollector, that's a low blow about Double D's teeth. i'll get you for this.

you're messin' with my childhood idol now. image >>

Incredible pitcher, but some people shouldn't smile/smirk/whatever that is. image
    Love the text on the back of that card, so much better than any modern.
  • Options
    PSA 9 Memory Lane

Here is a cert that looks like it was graded at the National.
  • Options
    thanks DP.....i did just take a stroll down Memory Lane after reading gemint's post in your other thread.

some serious cardboards over there. image
  • Options
    Are these the cards that were advertised in this months SMR?

Definately some amazing cards listed.
  • Options
    I answered my own question after seeing the Winfield PSA 10.

Strong prices so far on lots of the key cards.
  • Options
    astonishing for some. my chin has abrasions because my jaw keeps dropping to the floor. image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA 9 Memory Lane

Here is a cert that looks like it was graded at the National. >>

Nope. That's in the old grading format (pre-0.5 point scale).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PSA 9 Memory Lane

Here is a cert that looks like it was graded at the National. >>

Nope. That's in the old grading format (pre-0.5 point scale). >>

That is interesting that they used certs that began with a 3 in the past and then came back to them in the present. I was just basing my statement on the number 3 that many cards from the National started with.

Thanks for clarifying.