Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My beloved 1980 Topps

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Who are you? >>

Someone who hopefully isn't in a hurry to sell that box.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone who hopefully isn't in a hurry to sell that box. >>

The dearth is causing cerebral contusions. But then again, all it takes is one sucker.
  • Options
    There was (is??) a 1980 Topps Cello box for $950 recently. I can't see how a wax box is going to sell for more than a cello box. Just last month there was some 1980 Wax for sale for ~$600. No way the price has gone up that much in a month....right?
  • Options
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭
    LOL at that asking price, but what is the baseline price now for a 1980 Topps box? $550? $600?
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    These are BBCE's buy prices:

1980 Topps Baseball:
    Wax Case $8000
    Wax Box $400
    Cello Case $6000
    Cello Box $400
    Rack Case $2000
    Rack Box $600
    Vending Case $ 3200
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Steve was selling the 1980 baseball wax boxes at this years National for $650 and they were from a "sealed case." I looked back at the pictures from the the 2012 national and they were selling for $380
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options
    The crazy thing about this is that if someone bought it for that price, they could probably make profit off of it in about 2-3 years with the way things have been going lately.
  • Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    I'd say the new baseline price is $600 for a wax box. I bet
    you will see BBCE increase their buy prices soon.
  • Options
    No way I would pay 600 for a box. The chances of getting a 10, let alone a Henderson 10 are slim and none.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep asking this and I never seem to find the answer. It seems as though wax prices for 1978 and up keep escalating while PSA 9 prices for these years remain soft. How does this reconcile? Unless the wax runup is pure speculative frenzy, shouldn't there be a correlation between wax prices and high grade PSA stuff?
    As long as PSA 9's can be had for less than the grading fee I can't understand the appeal of paying big bucks for wax.
  • Options

<< <i>I keep asking this and I never seem to find the answer. It seems as though wax prices for 1978 and up keep escalating while PSA 9 prices for these years remain soft. How does this reconcile? Unless the wax runup is pure speculative frenzy, shouldn't there be a correlation between wax prices and high grade PSA stuff?
    As long as PSA 9's can be had for less than the grading fee I can't understand the appeal of paying big bucks for wax. >>

In theory I would agree with you. But I think its more of a generalized frenzy towards unopened material and the potential to get 10's, not 9's. Like has been mentioned, you might just be seeing a period of hoarding more than people sending cards by the bucket to PSA. But I would agree, there is a rift between opening a 79 box you just paid $800 for and getting a bunch of 9's that are valued at book value. I dont know how far back you would go where it would seem the amount you spend seems almost equivalent to the cards you get though either. 1975? 1971?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rise in value in unopened product for these years has little correlation with graded card prices and is predicated on the scarcity (real or speculative) of unopened product in general. I doubt any of these boxes are being ripped at these prices. 70s cellos are notorious for yielding very few high grade cards due to the tighter wrap Topps used during that time yet pricing for unopened cello boxes continue to rise, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I paid $500 last month for a clean box of 80 Topps wax. While mine does not contain a BBCE label, I can't imagine that doubles the price.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    $800

It's a Cat 5 now.
  • Options
    Impressive indeed!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ryan PSA 10

This sale may be an anomaly but it certainly can't be hurting the pack prices.

I remember this a few years ago selling in the $820 range.

The pop report shows 19 out of 2,684 have graded a 10.

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    How about this ONE!!

Saw it go up and by the time ducks got in a row it was sowed up.

Ok, who here got it lol!!
  • Options

<< <i>Ryan PSA 10

The pop report shows 19 out of 2,684 have graded a 10. >>

Strong price~good to see that the cards within the packs are also showing sharp rises in value.

• Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭

<< <i>Ryan PSA 10

That was my card Dpeck! I was pretty happy to see it fetch that price.

jbox
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Ryan PSA 10

jbox >>

Wow, congrats!! Great to see a collector get that grade on a card like that! Was it a pack pull?

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ryan PSA 10

jbox >>

Awesome!!!!

If you were watching that auction live I bet your heart was pounding in the final hour. From just over a $1,000 to the hammer price.

• Options
    jboxjbox Posts: 408 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Ryan PSA 10

jbox >>

Awesome!!!!

If you were watching that auction live I bet your heart was pounding in the final hour. From just over a $1,000 to the hammer price. >>

I didn't get to watch it live. I had a bunch of cards consigned to Rick ending that night. I came home to a few nice surprises!

jbox
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The crazy thing about this is that if someone bought it for that price, they could probably make profit off of it in about 2-3 years with the way things have been going lately. >>

...and they will.
    I'm thinking about the possibilities myself.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets