Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Philippine coins and values?

(post got posted too quickly...edited for content to be added)

So, just left the in-laws after spending most of the day there while they prepare to sell their house (in the PNW).
Wife tells her mom that I do coins, so she comes out with jars and jars of coins. Find ~$15 FV of US coins that have silver content (a lot of 40% and some 90%), and I know how to find their value....whether it is melt value or more.
However, she had a few handfuls of world coins (I left those as none jumped out at me and I told her to just toss them in the yard sale and see if they can get $1.00 per 10.

Then, she has a jar of Philippine coins. Many are "modern"....ie, 1972 one piso, and others, but there are a few dozen that are 5-50 centavos from 1903-1945. Some 50 centavos from 1921+, some 10 centavos from 1903+, some 20 centavos from 1919 or so to later, etc.

I've seen a few things saying they are 90% silver, some things said 80% and some sites said 75%. Which is it?
Also, are there spots to find key dates?

They can use the money if anything special is in there, so I am trying to see if anything is worth more than melt.

Appreciate any advice. They are all circ, but some are somewhat nice.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are certainly some better dates for USPI coinage. Fortunately, the coins are listed in the Redbook (pages 411-15 of the 2014 edition) and the values there will give you a decent ballpark and certainly enough to show you what is a better date.

Also, the earlier dates of the silver coins (10c-Peso) from 1903-1906 were 90% silver. From 1907 on the 10c, 20c and 50c were 75% silver and the Peso was 80% silver.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks.
    Not where I have the RedBooks right now, so I appreciate the info Mike.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could check ebay for similiar auctions. The five centavo coins (not Silver) from 1903-1938 are kinda scarce in their own right. Some of the one centavo coins are very scarce also. I am collecting Philippine coins from 1903-1945. The silver ones seem to be a lot easier to acquire.

Bob
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    modern Philippine coins have little value as there are millions of them still about

anything beyond the 1940's i'd not bother with

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19