Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Topps BB wax box Over/Under

10 years from now, wax box of 1986 Topps baseball $50.

Over or under?

Comments

• Options
    over
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>10 years from now, wax box of 1986 Topps baseball $50.

Over or under? >>

When considering inflation, it doesn't have that far to go. I'm over for sure.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    After seeing the prices of other boxes once considered "modern junk" (see 1981 topps), I have no doubt that in ten years 1986 could hit $50 a box. What is it now, $20??
  • Options

<< <i>When considering inflation, it doesn't have that far to go. I'm over for sure. >>

Current Cost of 1986 Topps

Inflation Rates for the Past 10 Years

To reach $50, a box of 86 Topps would have to increase at a rate four times greater than the past 10 years inflation
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After seeing the prices of other boxes once considered "modern junk" (see 1981 topps), I have no doubt that in ten years 1986 could hit $50 a box. What is it now, $20?? >>

You can't make a correlation between something like 1981 Topps wax boxes and 1986 Topps wax boxes. It's a sliding scale. The amount of 86 produced dwarfs 1981. I think this is the biggest misconception when it comes to unopened. People look at what lesser produced items have done and think that an item produced 5 years from that will be doing roughly the same thing 5 years from now. It's apples and oranges, and in many instances (when talking about the 1980s) even a single year jump is comparing apples and oranges. Donruss saw 100% production increases in both 1986 and 1987 and I don't believe it's an unreasonable assumption to think that Topps did the same, if not more. Think about that for a minute, 100% production increases in EACH of those years. That is a massive production increase.

Throw the correlations out the window.
  • Options
    mid-80's bb wax = mid 70's opc baseball

ie.....not enough demand

doesn't mean prices won't rise
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭

<< <i>mid-80's bb wax = mid 70's opc baseball

ie.....not enough demand

doesn't mean prices won't rise >>

I don't know. As I mentioned in the other over/under thread I started, I think there's a lot of guys that collected as kids in the mid '80s that are starting to rip a lot of this stuff. The difference between the mid '70s OPC stuff and 1986 Topps is the Topps product was what most kids were buying.

I know for me, there's been an unexpected nostalgic attraction to '86 and '87 Topps for example. If that happens to enough people, it might be surprising to see product like 1987 Topps become semi-desirable. Odds are not, but who knows?
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    I think this board will cause most boxes to rise each month!image