Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1987 Topps BB wax box Over/Under

10 years from now...1987 Topps Baseball Wax Boxes $40 each.

Over or under?

Comments

• Options
    sportscardstopsportscardstop Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    I'll put everything I have on Under.
  • Options
    doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭

<< <i>I'll put everything I have on Under. >>

I think I would have agreed with that a couple of years ago.

Now, I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    I might still take the under if you changed the question to forty years from now.
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    over. everything else dried up.
  • Options
    under
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Current Price

If anyone honestly thought they could get 16% annual returns on any investment, they would be buying significant amounts, which would have caused the price to have already gone up a lot more than it has
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 26 years since they were released they've lost half their value. Let's at least wait another few decades for them to re-obtain MSRP before we start speculating.

I would be surprised if these are $20 boxes in ten years.
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    Under.

People forget that ten years ago they were giving this stuff away. I bought an 87 cello box at the time for $3.
  • Options
    I'm not insisting this will become a desirable box financially speaking. I'm aware of the volume it was produced, how cheap it's been for years, etc.

I just think we're heading into a time where guys that collected as kids in the mid '80s are starting to rip a ton of this stuff. It's an attractive set (I think), and I wouldn't be surprised if enough of it gets ripped in the next 10 years that it becomes an OK box to own.

I never thought I would think that, but, well, there you go. Could be very wrong but I've been quite surprised by what's happened in the unopened market recently, even with stuff that has been traditionally believed to be "worthless". To me it's at least worth stashing a couple of cases...
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure someone out there has started a PSA 10 1987 Topps Set Registry set

Just wait until John Kruk gets the HOF nod....then we'll see
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not insisting this will become a desirable box financially speaking. I'm aware of the volume it was produced, how cheap it's been for years, etc.

I just think we're heading into a time where guys that collected as kids in the mid '80s are starting to rip a ton of this stuff. It's an attractive set (I think), and I wouldn't be surprised if enough of it gets ripped in the next 10 years that it becomes an OK box to own.

I never thought I would think that, but, well, there you go. Could be very wrong but I've been quite surprised by what's happened in the unopened market recently, even with stuff that has been traditionally believed to be "worthless". To me it's at least worth stashing a couple of cases... >>

I don't disagree with your sentiment, in fact, I completely agree with it. Mid-80s to early-90s is very nostalgic he difference, however, is that I own it because it was dirt cheap. It was an inexpensive way to travel back to my youth. In order for box prices to get to the price point you're suggesting we would have to see a massive increase in the registry participation and demand for high-grade low-pop commons. Quality control for Topps in this time period, while not perfect, was light years better than earlier years where we already see such price increases. That, coupled with the amount produced, and we're talking about a VERY long time before we see boxes reach that level.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Over
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not insisting this will become a desirable box financially speaking. I'm aware of the volume it was produced, how cheap it's been for years, etc.

I never thought I would think that, but, well, there you go. Could be very wrong but I've been quite surprised by what's happened in the unopened market recently, even with stuff that has been traditionally believed to be "worthless". To me it's at least worth stashing a couple of cases... >>

I don't disagree with your sentiment, in fact, I completely agree with it. Mid-80s to early-90s is very nostalgic he difference, however, is that I own it because it was dirt cheap. It was an inexpensive way to travel back to my youth. In order for box prices to get to the price point you're suggesting we would have to see a massive increase in the registry participation and demand for high-grade low-pop commons. Quality control for Topps in this time period, while not perfect, was light years better than earlier years where we already see such price increases. That, coupled with the amount produced, and we're talking about a VERY long time before we see boxes reach that level. >>

Good points all. I s'pose we won't know for sure 'til 2023. Maybe I'll buy enough of the stuff that everyone else will benefit.
  • Options
    If people start going in to the HOF, Over. Many great Rookies.

If they are still not allowed in the HOF, Under.

I say put them all in. Their is at least 1 PED user in the HOF already. No big deal.

Dave