Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cash

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    Neat. Is that from the reign of Kuang hsu and Kuang mint,Canton?
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ack. I have been motivated to take another look at Chinese Imperial cash pieces. I know next to nothing, so your question took me by surprise.
    However, a quick trip to Google revealed a name that I did recognize, Guangxu, and yes, you do have the proper reign.
    The mint is identified as Kwangtung, which is the inscription on the reverse, right. Again, you are correct. Canton province.
    I guess one way to learn about these pieces is to be "ambushed" with a question. image
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    I have been remiss (in my mind anyway) in building my general knowledge of Chinese coins so I recently started studying more. Your post was timely as I had just begun testing my ability to properly read and identify the symbols on these cash coins.

It seems Kuang hsu / Guangxu was quite progressive and made some positive changes during his time, as a very young man no less. But apparently his aunt was intent on maintaining control as regent and kept him hidden away in the palace where he later died under suspicious circumstances. Poor fellow.

Always interesting what history a coin can reveal.

Thanks again for posting it, harasha.