Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

help me ID these?

got these in a batch of foreign silver and i have no idea where to even start. anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭
    i've also got these oldies that i can't pin down...

thanks for the help image
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    #1 is a riyal from Yemen
    #2 looks like a 5 kori from the Indian state of Kutch
    #3-5 are all English 3 pence coins

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

<< <i>#1 is a riyal from Yemen
    #2 looks like a 5 kori from the Indian state of Kutch
    >>

yup, nice.. thank you.

what year is the Kutch? any idea?
  • Options
    Check Krause but I think the Kutch pieces are from the 1940s - a one or two year type as I recall. I've always liked (and own a few) of the Kutch series since they look like they were made a lot earlier than the 20th century.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    it looks like that style could be anywhere from 1913 - 1936 image
  • Options
    on the first coin it says

1372-1953

1372 being what 1953 is on the islamic calendar (beginning 622AD when Muhammad went from Mecca to Medina)
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    You're right, my bad. Was doing it from memory which wasn't complete in this case. Looks like a 1925 date on the obverse (first 4 characters below the horizontal line) but it always takes me a while to figure these out so I'm not sure I'm reading it right without references.

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kutch looks like 1935 to me.
  • Options
    here's a 1935 in a slab ebay 1935 ngc - VS1991

under the moon, inside the circle, bottom right character is different.

but then this coin - numisbids has one listed as a 1935 that looks like mine, but is listed as VS1992 image

i can't find a 1925 to compare :/

i guess it doesn't really matter, no key dates, but i just want to know image
  • Options
    it appears to be 1925 to me, the third character only has two points at the top, it would need another swoosh making three points to be a 3, imo
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "2" would be quite a bit shorter if it were 1925, also the VS date would be 1982 instead of 1992. So, definitely, 1992/1935.
  • Options
    The second batch: British 1671 and 1679 3 pence of charles II and 1681 3 pence of james II
  • Options
    oops-- that should be 1687 british silver 3 pence of james II