Home Precious Metals

Even MORE FAKE ENGELHARDS

aliaba special being sold on eBay Claims is from the early '80's

another one

dimesnions are WAY off Returns accepted, but only if still in plastic. hmmm, I wonder why...this one in particular KNOWS what he's selling if he's specifically saying that.

another disproprtionate bar

and another
No others have anything else up for sale except for this one (testing the market to see how far they can take it), and looky what he has, a bunch of fake prospectors

A common thread seems to be these are most likely coming from a new account created on eBay, not necessarrily a person new to eBay, just a new account. The other thing is bars are still in plastic in most cases. What eBay is allowing is realy disheartening isn't it?
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe 1 & 2 are a hijacked account. I believe I know the seller because of their ebay name & location. The seller hasn't been active since 2011. I can contact someone I know in that area who has a strong reason to have that ebay name on Monday. I will update here.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are fakes, it sure is not stopping the bidders. Scary...
    ----- kj
  • mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    How the heck does one hijack an account anyway?
    I guess they are on the information superhighway and I am on the information cul de sac!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    believe 1 & 2 are a hijacked account. I believe I know the seller because of their ebay name & location. The seller hasn't been active since 2011. I can contact someone I know in that area who has a strong reason to have that ebay name on Monday. I will update here

Please do.

If they are fakes, it sure is not stopping the bidders. Scary...

They are and it is.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How the heck does one hijack an account anyway?
    I guess they are on the information superhighway and I am on the information cul de sac! >>

Phishing - phoney email that asks you to log into your account from a link in the email. Logging in sends your log in info directly to the scammer who sent you the email. He can now log into your account, change password and take over. Never log into any personal account from an email. The scammers are good at making the emails look very authentic. Get them all the time from "banks." Most of their victims are unsavy cul de sac dwellers.

Popular one going around now is receiving a phone call from "Microsoft" who says they can see your computer has been infected. I tell them "hold on while I turn on the computer" then set the phone down and leave them hanging.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I'm always cautious about an ebay seller with a short sales history, which is of course me as well.
    COA
    Popular one going around now is receiving a phone call from "Microsoft" who says they can see your computer has been infected. I tell them "hold on while I turn on the computer" then set the phone down and leave them hanging

I received this one and told them I was not able to get to my computer, but would call them back when I could...who should I call back? The middleeastern sounding person said to call Ethan Wilson and gave me the number to reach him at. I never did, but I should call it knowing this was a scam now to follow up just to see where it goes.

<< <i>Popular one going around now is receiving a phone call from "Microsoft" who says they can see your computer has been infected. I tell them "hold on while I turn on the computer" then set the phone down and leave them hanging

I received this one and told them I was not able to get to my computer, but would call them back when I could...who should I call back? The middleeastern sounding person said to call Ethan Wilson and gave me the number to reach him at. I never did, but I should call it knowing this was a scam now to follow up just to see where it goes. >>

Ask them what type computer you have, what your operating system is and what your zip code is. These guys call phones randomly knowing most homes have a computer. My sister told me she got a similar call and she doesn't own a computer.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Popular one going around now is receiving a phone call from "Microsoft" who says they can see your computer has been infected. I tell them "hold on while I turn on the computer" then set the phone down and leave them hanging. >>

I get that one as well, then I just tell them I have an Apple,,,,,silence.

bobimage

I don't have one but they don't know, do they? image
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    Most of my stash is in 5 and 10 Engelhard and JM bars. Seriously considering liquidating them for the premium and buying newer generic bars
    This only stands to increase the premiums for ASEs which, while subject to counterfeiting, subject the counterfeiter to the wrath of the Secret Service. Dealing in counterfeit US coinage or currency is much riskier and greatly increases the violator's chances of being caught.

Many here, for years, have been advising to pay the extra premium for ASEs when it comes to physical silver. This is the primary reason why.

This only stands to increase the premiums for ASEs which, while subject to counterfeiting, subject the counterfeiter to the wrath of the Secret Service. Dealing in counterfeit US coinage or currency is much riskier and greatly increases the violator's chances of being caught.

And the fact that they continue to command that premium is a very convincing arguement.

Most of my stash is in 5 and 10 Engelhard and JM bars. Seriously considering liquidating them for the premium and buying newer generic bars

Same here, and I have been kicking around the idea for a bit now. I'm really leaning towards converting everything to Merry Xmas, Happy Retirement, etc bars. Just got to get off my arse and do it, which means, alot of taking pictures, creating listings and dealing with eBay (fill in the blank) who cannot be pleased no matter what...uggghhh!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This only stands to increase the premiums for ASEs which, while subject to counterfeiting, subject the counterfeiter to the wrath of the Secret Service. Dealing in counterfeit US coinage or currency is much riskier and greatly increases the violator's chances of being caught.

Many here, for years, have been advising to pay the extra premium for ASEs when it comes to physical silver. This is the primary reason why. >>

ASE's are heavily counterfeited---especially by the Chinese. Your best bet is to buy from reputable sellers rather than eBay.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

<< <i>

<< <i>This only stands to increase the premiums for ASEs which, while subject to counterfeiting, subject the counterfeiter to the wrath of the Secret Service. Dealing in counterfeit US coinage or currency is much riskier and greatly increases the violator's chances of being caught.

Many here, for years, have been advising to pay the extra premium for ASEs when it comes to physical silver. This is the primary reason why. >>

ASE's are heavily counterfeited---especially by the Chinese. Your best bet is to buy from reputable sellers rather than eBay. >>

Counterfeit ASEs have shown up in the market, they seem limited to the year 2011 so far, and are very easily detected by those that have had an ASE in hand. While the Chinese are creating them, American marketers are generally avoiding them for the very reasons I gave. And yes, if you're gonna end up with a counterfeit ASE, it will most likely come from ebay, and probably from a foreign seller.

And yes, if you're gonna end up with a counterfeit ASE, it will most likely come from ebay, and probably from a foreign seller.

On this I disagree, well at least to the extent of it being an ASE or an Engelhard bar as my links indicate in this thread...every one of them b-tards are selling as a U.S. account.
    I really feel that Americans are buying silver from alibaba and listing the stuff here for U.S. purchases mostly via eBay because eBay seems to not give a lick about the matter. I'm disgusted by the whole thing. I'm going to go ahead and say what I'm thinking this time. Please dont ban me DW....some Americans really SUCK!
    I should clarify: A foreign seller using a US account. Ebay should automatically show "item location" from the ebay account registration and not allow seller to insert the item location of their choosing.

• tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I get it. For any significant purchases, I'll do that. I still like the small time finds of sorts here and there.

COA
  • LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe 1 & 2 are a hijacked account. I believe I know the seller because of their ebay name & location. The seller hasn't been active since 2011. I can contact someone I know in that area who has a strong reason to have that ebay name on Monday. I will update here. >>

I talked to a person today who I thought would be associated with that name and location. I showed them the auctions, etc. The person only ever sells privately under a different name and they were blown away by the name and location. But they have no ties to the seller so case unsolved.
    another fake 10 oz engelhard

Few recent sales, but has sold 10 oz Engelhards last year. This one may be toned because it's one left over from when s/he sold the others last year. Only 1 picture that's hazy. And eBay keeps allowing this stuff. image