Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ripping a truckload of '89 Fleer baseball today

I picked up two (3-box) rack pack cases of 1989 Fleer for the heck of it recently. They've been yielding the Ripken FF error, which is cool. Is there a market for any of these packs showing stars, or should I just rip those too?
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd keep the packs with stars showing. At the very least, the upper echelon guys.
    Daniel
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd keep the packs with stars showing. At the very least, the upper echelon guys. >>

Cool - thanks for the feedback. If anyone collects packs with stars showing - let me know if you'd need something from these.
    Jeff
  • Options
    There are some interesting Randy Johnson variations -- be interesting to see which
    one you have.

And there's always the Griffey rookie card. Sounds like a fun ripping session to me.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    Yep - I'm on the lookout for all of the errors/variations. I have realized that one of the cases has the Ripken FF error and the other case has the black box version. The case boxes looked different - so I'm assuming there's a way to tell (by looking at the case) if you have an the early run.
    Jeff
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, I'd be interested in buying a Mike Greenwell on top rack if you come across one.
  • Options
    Do you 89 Fleer folks know what errors occurred when? I assume that most of the errors are in the early batches but when exactly did they start doing the various Ripken FF fixes (scribble, black box,etc) I would think that error corrections from the middle runs might be worth more than the errors in the initial printing

I have 3 wax boxes, each with a different # on them 8607 , 8609, and 8610 (marked late by the dealer) I'm gonna rip one soon, probably the 8607 one.

I tried to look online to see any info about box numbers and what variations might be in them, but could only find lists of variations and errors.
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun. Good luck! If you get a Felix Fermin or Roger McDowell you're getting warm image

I've posted about this before but got little response, but early this year I busted a wax box that included a pack with a Billy black scribble and Billy black box corrected versions back to back in the pack. I've always thought this was strange as I figured, as was mentioned, that cases (much less boxes and packs) would contain the same variations throughout. So don't give up complete hope on the black box case just yet.
  • Options
    08HALA2008HALA20 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the rip sounds like a lot of fun.

Look forward to the updates.

Hope you find a lot of 10's

Joe
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    PM sent..
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the posts and PM's guys. I had fun opening these. I found 3 Ripken FF cards, which was a surprise - but didn't come across any of the other errors.
    Jeff
  • Options
    NICE!

How was the Superstar Showing on front power?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>NICE!

How was the Superstar Showing on front power? >>

It was decent. Here are the only packs I left sealed...

And a little something for ReggieC...

Jeff
  • Options
    NICE!!!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gator! PM sent, Jeff.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I would be interested in a Gooden, Will Clark, or Strawberry on the front.
    I don't know if you got an answer on the Ripken error, but I think they went something like this: error, scribble, black box, white box, side cut, bottom cut. I'm not sure about the cuts or what came after those, if anything. I thought the scribble was a tuff pull. I only have one of those and multiple errors and box variations.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing Jeff. Was pulling for you to get a Ripken FF showing on top. Glad you got a Griffey however. I still get excited when I get a Ripken FF card in a pack. Never got one as a kid but I've pulled a few in the past year in wax boxes. I think io would still open the Sheffield pack or even the John Smoltz packs. I don't think there is any real demand for those. Besides, getting a Ripken card can make it all worth it.
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for all of the posts and PM's guys. I had fun opening these. I found 3 Ripken FF cards, which was a surprise - but didn't come across any of the other errors. >>

Sounds like a nice fun rip! I would be interested in one of those FF cards if you plan on selling. Never had one , but always sort of wanted it.

Jeff
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the nice posts guys! I had a great time with these boxes.

PM's answered.
    Jeff