Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Donruss "The Rookies" set

Any ideas on production run of this set?

I see plenty on Ebay so I know they aren't scarce, but did they really let the presses run on it?

Comments

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Production numbers were never disclosed, but it's cheap and plentiful. Even though the sets are cheap, some of the PSA 10s are $25+ cards.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    At the time they were released they might have seemed somewhat of a good investment but apparently they let the presses run on it.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    All 3 of the 86 extended sets are easy to find and overproduced.

Fun set though, right at the peak of when collecting was going full fury...this was such an anticipated set with so much outstanding potential. Canseco, Wally World, Bo, Ruben Sierra, Incaviglia, Cory Snyder, Will Clark, Barry Bonds, Kevin Mitchell...they all had so much potential and collectors were choosing one and hoarding their guy. For me, it was Ruben Sierra...
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    I own 100 sets, they weren't produced as much as the others and the PSA 10's go for over $1000 each. I say they are a great investment and coincidently I have a few on eBay right now.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>I own 100 sets, they weren't produced as much as the others and the PSA 10's go for over $1000 each. I say they are a great investment and coincidently I have a few on eBay right now. >>

Uh... which 1986 Donruss Rookies PSA 10s are you getting $1k each on?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I think he's talking about the set price...although still seems high for 56 cards?

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Fun set though, right at the peak of when collecting was going full fury...this was such an anticipated set with so much outstanding potential. Canseco, Wally World, Bo, Ruben Sierra, Incaviglia, Cory Snyder, Will Clark, Barry Bonds, Kevin Mitchell...they all had so much potential and collectors were choosing one and hoarding their guy. For me, it was Ruben Sierra... >>

Great list of players back then...also the Bobby Bonilla was sought after

I liked Sierra as well but Canseco was my favorite
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I busted a box (15 sets) of these last week actually. Was an absolute blast remembering each of the cards from back in the day. I was big on Sierra, Incaviglia and the skinny kid from Arizona State that no one wanted yet.

Some of the 10s do sell ok, these days Bo in particular, but 10s are not easy as you have the wrap, very mixed centering and LOTs of dings.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions