Home Sports Talk
Options

Triple Play Question

pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
If a team has no outs and two or three runners on base and the batter hits a fly ball out and the 2 runners leave base to soon and are called out on appeal is this considered a triple play?

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    IMO it is
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say yes because all the actions are from one play.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    What exactly is the "appeal" on this play?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    If a runner leaves the base before the fly ball is actually caught (you must tag up on fly balls) ...the defensive team can appeal the situation.
    Before the next pitch....

Pitcher steps off the mound and throws to the base that the runner was on. If he did leave early and ump saw it he rules runner out.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say yes because all the actions are from one play. >>

I've always believed it was based upon the number of outs between pitches but that's a much simpler and direct explanation.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a runner leaves the base before the fly ball is actually caught (you must tag up on fly balls) ...the defensive team can appeal the situation.
    Before the next pitch....

Pitcher steps off the mound and throws to the base that the runner was on. If he did leave early and ump saw it he rules runner out. >>

Assuming the runner were on 1st and second, how about the outfielder throwing it back into the infield and they touch second, throw it to first and he steps on first base? Sounds easier than involving the pitcher
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doubt that you could appeal for two outs, but I am by no means an expert.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    To get an out/appeal the runner must advance a base.
    If he steps back on his original base before the appeal then its a 'no play'

To be called out and 'not put out' an umpire must rule runner left early

If an outfielder just throws to the base......thats not enough. play must be appealed.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

From what I remember, if the defensive player throws the ball to another defensive player on the base or touches the base with the ball is an "appeal" in live play and the umpire will make a call. If the play is dead and the pitcher appeals to the umpire and tosses the ball to the respective bases the umpire will make a call also.

Say Barry Bonds catches a fly and throws just to the third baseman (because he always has had a weak arm) and the third baseman is standing on third, the umpire will call the runner out (if he left early or safe if not). It's an appeal but in live play, no gesture needed or required. So scored a DP right?

In a triple play scenario I think this would need to happen all while the ball is live in one continuous play. Appealing after time is called to put the ball back in play to make an appeal would be separate the play and appeal, just IMO.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If a team has no outs and two or three runners on base and the batter hits a fly ball out and the 2 runners leave base to soon and are called out on appeal is this considered a triple play? >>

Here is a play where a runner was called out on appeal for leaving the base too soon. It is listed as a double play in the box score. I'm pretty sure you can appeal two runners, so a triple play is possible.
    http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120617&content_id=33472718&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/LAN/LAN201206170.shtml
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Yup, you have it right..I was wrong.

^^