Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard 5 Oz Bar - Odd "Dash" Mark Before Serial Number

Has anyone ever come across this? Appears to have been made during production.

"In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen that before. Could this be one of those counterfeit old pour Engelhard bars that were discussed in another thread a few days ago?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engelhard 5-ounce Silver Bars (to view 10 oz bars, change the 5 to 10 in the web address)

No indication at this site that Engelhard used a dash.
    Appears that a bar with your serial number should look like the ninth one down the list.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that bar. I am finding that aboutag.com, although very helpful, is not the holy grail. I've seen some legit bars as of late that aren't even on the site. Alot of people getting spooked lately just because of seeing a bar that isn't on aboutag.
    This comes directly from their site, which tells me that webmasters are keeping the site current, but they can't confirm anything, and if they're the experts, what does that tell you.
    We have had several reports recently about fake Engelhard bars in rare sizes (such as 3oz, 5oz, and 100g sizes). They may be made of real silver. We are currently investigating this (but have not confirmed anything yet).

I'd buy this one in a heartbeat if it were offered at a current market price for that type bar. There are fakes out there, but I dont' feel this one is.
    But again, what the hell do I know, I bought what turned out to be a fake 5 oz Eng not to long ago based on a picture. Once in hand, I was able to tell it wasn't good.

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    I checked the site of a couple of major bullion dealers and could find no engelhard pours with a dash before the S/N

Then again bars are not my expertise. I believe PoM to be the most knowledgeable on bars, especially poured.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    aboutag.com the holy grail?...lol
    who said it was?
    its just an info site put together by a silver enthusiast, its a great site...
    but bars posted are just ones that he & others have sent it to be put on site as examples...
    its a reference not a bible...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for this post and the
    web address !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    That's my point rawteam, some people are going by only what aboutag has on the site and thinking that if it's not on that site, it must be a fake...that's my point. There's varieties of these bars just like coins have VAM's. Just because it's not on aboutag does not mean it's flat out a fake.
    Now that I've cleared that up...image
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That's my point rawteam, some people are going by only what aboutag has on the site and thinking that if it's not on that site, it must be a fake...that's my point. There's varieties of these bars just like coins have VAM's. Just because it's not on aboutag does not mean it's flat out a fake.
    Now that I've cleared that up...image >>

Exactly. New things do turn up.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>That's my point rawteam, some people are going by only what aboutag has on the site and thinking that if it's not on that site, it must be a fake...that's my point. There's varieties of these bars just like coins have VAM's. Just because it's not on aboutag does not mean it's flat out a fake.
    Now that I've cleared that up...image >>

Site was offered as just another piece of the pie. I'll quit throwing you pieces if you're gonna assume I think I'm tossing you a pie. image

• Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice bar sebrown.

Here is an example of a bar with a dash mark preceding a "1". Such bars show up occasionally. I have not seen an example like yours where the dash is a prefix.

• Options
    Site was offered as just another piece of the pie. I'll quit throwing you pieces if you're gonna assume I think I'm tossing you a pie image

Quite the contrary derryb. Any and all help is greatly appreciated with this matter and I feel the more it's discussed, the more educated we can become on it to protect ourselves from becoming a victim of a s.o.b. taking advantage of what they feel is an opportunity.

That goes for anyone, if something looks questionable, bring it up here. I'm on another pm chat site that has a whole Forum dedicated to it, which would be a great idea for here for someone to at least start a thread of suspected fake bars. I'd do it, but I've been here long enough to know that no one would follow my lead on it after being shot down with other ideas that I felt would improve and educate us here. image
  • Options
    Another interesting variety.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    on OGIM's 10 oz'er, I like how it looks like there's a moon just to the left of the bullhorn image Yep, yet another variety that I have not seen, but is spot on with everything else.
  • Options
    I think that "moon" is just the end of the logotype punch indenting the bar.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>on OGIM's 10 oz'er, I like how it looks like there's a moon just to the left of the bullhorn image Yep, yet another variety that I have not seen, but is spot on with everything else. >>

I think that's just the edge of the punch or stamp which only means it was well punched or stamped.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    I think that "moon" is just the end of the logotype punch indenting the bar.

But you normally don't get that, right? To me that's what makes it cool.