Home Sports Talk
Options

NL - ROY - Puig deserving or not?

I am a Dodger fan but it seems like even if Puig continues putting up numbers at his current pace he should NOT win the ROY. Curious what others think. Just doesn't seem like quite long enough playing. I would rather have a guy play 150 games and hit .290 then a guy play 90 games and hit .330 let's say... just looking at one stat as an example.

Year Age Tm G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos Awards
2013 22 LAD 68 291 261 48 92 16 2 12 28 7 6 23 68 .352 .412 .567 .979 175 148 5 5 0 2 6 9/87

Comments

• Options
    1985fan1985fan Posts: 1,952 ✭✭
    No, 1000 times no, he is not deserving. Throw in his extended cooldown he's been experiencing as pitchers learn his weaknesses, and he'll be lucky to see numbers at the end of the year anywhere near where they are now. Last night's home run was his first since August 1st, further evidence that his hot start has overshadowed his recent lack of success.

That being said, he's great for the game, and anything that gets the east coast bias machine called ESPN talking west coast sports is a good thing. It's hilarious, though, to see the national media already starting to speculate about his 'character' because he was fined for being late to a meeting. Speculating about whether this guy they've been trumpeting since his call up is a supposed problem waiting to explode. Tearing down the guy they built up, just like they've gone out of their way to do with Johnny Football.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he plays the rest of the year, he will get into about 100 games. Who is out there you like better?
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    Is this a trick question? He will win ROY easily, as he should.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pick Ryu or Fernandez over Puig to win NL ROY.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd pick Ryu or Fernandez over Puig to win NL ROY. >>

That's your right, though comparing the two pitchers is a little silly-Fernandez has been much better than Ryu. Teheran has been better that Ryu. It is certainly an exceptional year for rookies in the NL.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fernandez has pitched VERY well, but he is almost at his innings pitched limit, so how does that give him an edge over Puig in the respect of playing time?

Seems like Puig's award to lose right now.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I could see Ryu and Puig splitting some votes which could harm both their chances. I remember during my junior high and high school time (late 70's/early 80's) I thought only Dodgers win the award! image