Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1983 Topps or 1992 Bowman

Hello everyone, this is my first post on here! I collected as a kid and then got out of the card and autograph world for a while and now at 33 am back into it in a fairly large compacity. I started back about 2-3 years ago.

Well I have already started buying PSA cards of 1983 Topps and 1992 Bowman but am realizing now that these are both huge projects to complete a set in PSA 9 and also very costly. So if you had to choose one of the two sets to collect then which would it be? I also know that no one has completed the 1992 Bowman set yet. Any comments would be appreciated.

Hope to post more often!
Scott
Niner's good as gold!

Comments

• Options
    Welcome (I'm new myself)...my opinion would be the 83 Topps it's classic. Though the choice is yours and I would go with the one you have a passion for...me I am thinking the 86 Topps since I have a lot of unopened but if I had unlimited funds I would most likely collect 1980 Topps...hands down my favorite set growing up. I decided to just start small with the 1989 Score Traded and see if the bug for PSA collecting passes and it gives me a set I can pick up cheap (crack open) and grade. I'm only at 20% so any big set you are talking years of collecting...maybe collect both but stick to HoFers in the 83 set for now. I've found you can pick up many cards at 9/10 for under the grading fees so I'd check out ebay, 4 corners and other on line sellers, before sending in cards. What ever you decide happy collecting.

Joe
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    83 topps

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>83 topps >>

Agreed much better design!!
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    I like both.

Can't go wrong though there will be more of a market for the extra or unwanted 1983 Topps.

From an actual scarcity (relatively of course) I'd imagin that there are far fewer 1992 Bowmans.

1983 was probably the best topps design of the decade.

Maybe go for the 1983 Topps Traded and the 1992 Bowman?
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, I actually have about 6 cards started for the 1983 Topps set. I need one thing to primarily focus on so I don't spend every penny...haha...I already have the three big ones for this set which are the Boggs, Gwynn and Sandberg all of which are PSA 9's.image
    Niner's good as gold!
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    83 Topps is the first box I ever purchased on my own as a full unopened box. I was in the 8th grade and I purchased it from Sam's Wholesale. Got home, pulled out the pencil and paper, and started ripping it on the kitchen table. I used to write down all the cards rather than check them on the checklists. Of course, there was no internet back then. I loved the action shots of Rose and Ripken. Had no idea who Sandberg was but did know about Boggs and Gwynn.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    I did not start collecting until 1988 heavily but remember buying some 1983 Topps looking for Boggs. And just like that I just purchased 25 more PSA 9's for my set, hopefully I will have them in my hands and registered for the PSA set registry by early next week! I am on my way...slowwwly...The bug has certainly bit me!
    Niner's good as gold!