Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ANA theft #2

Ouch. I hope the culprit is caught and caught quickly. It would be a real shame if that Argentina 8 Reales was lost / destroyed in the process. Not my area of expertise, but from what I've read it's a pretty rare error.

<< <i>August 19, 2013
Rosemont Hotel Room Burglary

Rosemont, IL police are investigating the theft of over $400,000 in banknotes and coins taken from a dealer attending the ANA and staying at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Rosemont. The dealer reported that some person or persons removed a safe containing the banknotes and coins from his hotel room.

Stolen: Banknotes from Argentina, Uruguay, Spain, China, Brazil and several American bank note proofs. Coins from Argentina, Venezuela, Spain, Poland, Italy and Eritrea.

Rare Argentina: Rio de la Plata 8 Reales 1813J PTS Provincias {Error Prorvincias) valued between $40-50,000

Also taken: Royal order from Cuba (order of Finlay) large breast star badge in silver and enamel, Order of Egypt a large breast star in silver and enamel.

Anyone with information should contact: Doug Davis at 817-723-7231

>>

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the type of inventory that thieves will sell for pennies on the dollar to an unknowledgeable fence. Let's hope that the material resurfaces soon.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's terrible. I know that several dealers were staying at that Hyatt. I'm hoping this is the last of the bad news image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you remove a safe from a hotel room ?
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you remove a safe from a hotel room ? >>

Wouldn't you like to know!?!?!

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How do you remove a safe from a hotel room ? >>

Inside job?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine a richer target for any thief than the periphery of a show....

it's the definition of cash, but I agree that they can only sell pennies on the dollar in real value so... is it worth the risk? esp when the participants are most likely either a) wired up with security or b) packing heat themselves....

off-site just seems to smack of some sort of inside-support-services-facilitated-stuff... my 100000% uneducated public musings
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Do you think that the dealer had this stuff insured?
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Despicable. I hope they nail the fences to the wall. The original thieves will be tough to find unless it was an inside job.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think that the dealer had this stuff insured?

No.

The stuff really was stolen.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.