Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

ANA Chicago Report

Just got back from ANA Chicago and I must say we had a great time!

Attended some of the seminars and met some great people. I love talkin' coins.

I also stopped in for a brief viewing of auction lots. It was neat to hold some of the rarer items in my hands, but I must say I was underwhelmed at the quality of many of the items on auction.

The bourse was immense and seemed to have lots of activity all the days we were there. Pruebas had pointed out that shows are a great place to find books so our first stop was the booksellers. My wife and I were graciously given free reign to peruse all the piles and shelves behind the counter and found a couple hard to find items.

I made it a point to visit several people that I had not met in person before and had some good conversations about everything from coins to weird tasting soda. Somehow I kept missing bidask when I walked by his table. Catch ya next time. Cheers to Andy Lustig, Josh of Civitas, John Agre of CRO, James of Atlas, Rod Gillis with ANA, and Brian Fanton of B&E Coins. All great folks. Special thanks to the Cayon family for tolerating my Spanish. image

Among the other folks I encountered was a presentation by and brief exchange with Q David Bowers. Shaking Mr. Bowers' hand was definitely on my bucket list as his books and articles are really what sparked my passion for numismatics.

As for coin finds, frankly it was much more difficult than I thought it would be to find the coins I was seeking at such a large show. Civitas and Atlas came through with a few nice pieces along with one or two pieces each from a couple others, but it was a tough search. The only 20 reales piece I found looked like the rim had been chewed on... pass. Perhaps it is my area of interest, just chance of what happened to be there, or perhaps I'm too picky.

Regardless, it was a great show and it was great to meet many acquaintances old and new.

Outside of the show, my wife and I toured a little bit of Chicago and really enjoyed it. The river and lake tour of the city at sunset was delightful. Perhaps best of all was the ChicagoPizzaTour in which we got to drink (Angry Orchard cider in our case) and eat pizza at four of the best pizza places in town. Pequod's was so good we went back for their pizza again the next night!

I'm exhausted from the travel, but really enjoyed the show. And yes, I'll post pics once I recover. image

Cheers,

Pat

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you had a great time. I wish I could go. Maybe next year...
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I shared the same difficulties you had with the selection of coins so I don't think it is your collecting area but maybe a dearth of new material.

Also, very glad you enjoyed the river and lake while you were here. Mighty proud of that stuff...and the pizza...we Chicagoans are.
  • Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 807 ✭✭✭
    Dealers always get first crack at the fresh and better material before you do.
    They start before the collectors and buy during setup times.

Much of which is not worked up till the next show .
    you will not see it.

Buy an early bird pass and compete with them.

When I did this I found better and more coins.

Krueger
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Par sorry I did not get to meet you personally

Thanks for stopping by.

Dan
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dealers always get first crack at the fresh and better material before you do.
    They start before the collectors and buy during setup times.

Much of which is not worked up till the next show .
    you will not see it.

Buy an early bird pass and compete with them.

When I did this I found better and more coins.

Krueger >>

Yep! Come back for the Early Bird Pass at next years CICF. More World coins and better depth.

Oh yeah, you can never be too picky........be patient! Nice avatar, btw.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I missed you but it sounds like you had a great time image