Home Precious Metals
Options

Anyone else seeing more new privately poured bullion bars?

tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
I attended the show in Omaha/Council Bluffs this weekend and noticed a couple of dealers had quite an assortment of some regional privately poured silver bars (new bars made recently). One style had a small buffalo logo stamped into it, and one could purchase 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ounce sizes and up. These were hand poured bars .999 and were rather attractive in my mind, as they exhibited some nice flow lines, etc. that are typical of the poured bars. I believe the dealer said they were being made in McCook Nebraska, by using .999 silver shot as the starting material.

Another dealer, I believe from S. Dakota, had their own brand, which had a mining logo with a pickaxe, etc, and again had various sizes available, as well as .10 ounce gold rounds. Again, fairly attractive items.

Are others seeing more of this type of item around the country? Perhaps it is becoming more common, such as the local brewed beers have become. Just curious... I was tempted to purchase one or two of the buffalo bars, but then I realized that not being a nationally recognized brand, that it could be a real hassle when it comes time to sell again.... so passed them by. Sorry, have no photos, but perhaps someone else out there may have one?
----- kj

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've actually been talking about having a round made for us. Something to sell to local clients with a North Dakota theme. I've know a few other dealers who have done the same and had mix results. All depends on the art you select, not all things come out well when hammered in bullion.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Yep. A local dealer here has been melting random .999 bars as well as .9999 Canadian commemorative silver dollars to make his own poured bars. 2oz and 5 oz mostly, stamps them with 999 and his store's initials. Sell them for a higher premium than maples.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I attended the show in Omaha/Council Bluffs this weekend and noticed a couple of dealers had quite an assortment of some regional privately poured silver bars (new bars made recently). One style had a small buffalo logo stamped into it, and one could purchase 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ounce sizes and up. These were hand poured bars .999 and were rather attractive in my mind, as they exhibited some nice flow lines, etc. that are typical of the poured bars. I believe the dealer said they were being made in McCook Nebraska, by using .999 silver shot as the starting material.

Another dealer, I believe from S. Dakota, had their own brand, which had a mining logo with a pickaxe, etc, and again had various sizes available, as well as .10 ounce gold rounds. Again, fairly attractive items.

Are others seeing more of this type of item around the country? Perhaps it is becoming more common, such as the local brewed beers have become. Just curious... I was tempted to purchase one or two of the buffalo bars, but then I realized that not being a nationally recognized brand, that it could be a real hassle when it comes time to sell again.... so passed them by. Sorry, have no photos, but perhaps someone else out there may have one? >>

The second dealer that you mentioned sounds like Prospector's Gold & Gems. They've been around since 1999 and they have a web site. They refine both gold and silver and produce poured bars in various sizes.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Kind of like this cool bugger...a silver fox, HA! Off weight, was told only 100 were made. Probably be lucky to get Spot when I try to sell it, but thought it was cool so I paid well over Spot image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

The second dealer that you mentioned sounds like Prospector's Gold & Gems. They've been around since 1999 and they have a web site. They refine both gold and silver and produce poured bars in various sizes. >>

I think you are right PerryHall... that sounds like them.

Perhaps technology has gotten to a point where it is not quite so difficult to pour one's own bars now. Microbreweries used to not be very common, but now you find the local brands everywhere. Maybe we will be seeing more and more of these bars. Wasn't that long ago, that I seem to recall that one of our own forum members tried making his own!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably all that WE BUY GOLD making it back to the market

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

The second dealer that you mentioned sounds like Prospector's Gold & Gems. They've been around since 1999 and they have a web site. They refine both gold and silver and produce poured bars in various sizes. >>

I think you are right PerryHall... that sounds like them.

Perhaps technology has gotten to a point where it is not quite so difficult to pour one's own bars now. Microbreweries used to not be very common, but now you find the local brands everywhere. Maybe we will be seeing more and more of these bars. Wasn't that long ago, that I seem to recall that one of our own forum members tried making his own! >>

Prospector's Gold & Gems is usually set up at the Baltimore shows While their bars are neat looking, the premium over melt is a little too high for the serious bullion buyer. I own a few of their bars which are neat but if I were looking for a few hundred ounces of silver for investment purposes I would look elsewhere. Silvertowne and Monarch Precious Metals also make old pour bars that carry a smaller premium than P G & G but higher than the NTR, OPM, Sunshine Minting, etc.

• Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    Funny you mention it- I'm working on a prototype myself, and plan on melting my own bars as a little tangental project to a startup I'm trying to get going. I can show pictures once it's finished, in case anyone's interested.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Funny you mention it- I'm working on a prototype myself, and plan on melting my own bars as a little tangental project to a startup I'm trying to get going. I can show pictures once it's finished, in case anyone's interested. >>

Im very interested, please update!
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    yes, please do keep us posted and post some pics/videos of the process.

I know Provident Metals sells industrial silver shot at reasonable prices.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Alright, cool.

So far, I've acquired over 10 oz of sterling silver; dividing the amount by 0.925 gives you just a hair over 10 oz of pure silver. I'll probably aim to create two 2.5 oz bars, and a 5 oz bar. Or I can keep searching for more junk sterling scrap and make a 2.5 oz bar, and a 10 oz bar.

Next Tuesday I'm going to get some molds from the jewelry district in downtown Chicago and a stamp of the logo I've created. I'll let you know how things go.
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options

<< <i>So far, I've acquired over 10 oz of sterling silver; dividing the amount by 0.925 gives you just a hair over 10 oz of pure silver. >>

I think you mean multiply by 0.925.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Alright, cool.

So far, I've acquired over 10 oz of sterling silver; dividing the amount by 0.925 gives you just a hair over 10 oz of pure silver. I'll probably aim to create two 2.5 oz bars, and a 5 oz bar. Or I can keep searching for more junk sterling scrap and make a 2.5 oz bar, and a 10 oz bar.

Next Tuesday I'm going to get some molds from the jewelry district in downtown Chicago and a stamp of the logo I've created. I'll let you know how things go. >>

there should be some research available as sterling just doesnt turn into .999 cause u heat it up...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>So far, I've acquired over 10 oz of sterling silver; dividing the amount by 0.925 gives you just a hair over 10 oz of pure silver. >>

I think you mean multiply by 0.925. >>

Haha, yes, that's what I meant. As math majors delve deeper and deeper into mathematics, they tend to forget how to do easy stuff, like, figuring out the tip on a bill...

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options

<< <i>there should be some research available as sterling just doesnt turn into .999 cause u heat it up... >>

I didn't say it did. The bar would be a 0.925 bar of silver, not a 0.999 bar. There would be about 10 oz of pure silver in a 10.8 oz bar of sterling silver.

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives