Home Precious Metals
Options

Copper pennies vs copper cents on the bay

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
So I went over there to see about selling US Copper cents (Provoked from the copper cent thread that is now active). I did a search for copper cents and all that came up was numismatic cents... (Wheaties, Coronet, Choice Proof Lincolns... etc).

I then searched for Copper Pennies (Thinking British coins would come up since there is no such thing as a US Copper Penny) and wouldn't you know... Lots of auctions selling US Copper cents for the metal (Copper) value.

Funny how many people do not know the difference.

Ray

Comments

• Options
    tnsprotnspro Posts: 786 ✭✭✭
    Some might know the difference, some might not but if I were selling them, I would us the word 'pennies' as well in my listing. For a large majority of the population, that word is used more than the word "cents". It is about getting your auction seen by more eyes, not about correct terminology.

Currency Wants: Any note with serial number 00000731
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    It is about getting your auction seen by more eyes, not about correct terminology

This^^^

To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    I get that but can't someone claim they did not get what they bid on because they bid on pennies but received cents?
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have bucket loads of British pennies, the old ones - they range from ca. 1840s until 1967. I wonder if I could sell them at a scrapper?
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21