Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

She's nearly worn out, but she's valuable!

I'd grade it Fair-2. Not quite enough meat for aG-3, IMO. If this had circulated any longer than it had, the 6 may have become illegible. Thus turning this fairly tough rarity into a $4 piece of silver.

A hint for non-Canadian/25 cent variety collectors: it's all about the size of the crown on the reverse!

PS- no, I didn't find this in a junk silver lot, so no "you suck" award for me. I did get it at a pretty attractive price though ebay though. From someone who cherried it from a different Ebay seller for under $20 shipped.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy cow, or should I say King??? with a complete crown.
    You are one lucky guy.... I have been hunting for years for one...
    1906 Canada 25 cent piece SMALL crown...

value in this grade approx.: anywhere from $ 900 to 1500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    a VG 8 is approx. $4000, a G4 -6 anywhere $1600-3000.
    this is one of the very few coins where catalogue or list prices are not relevant.
    You want it, you pay!!! it is that simple.
    it is a coin which is realistically missing in most collections....
    it is that rare!!!!!!!!!!
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the last digit is illegible now. Are you 100% certain that the last digit is a 6? Looks like a possible 5 to me. Mucho congrats if it is a 1906!
    Bob
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I'm am quite sure it is 1906 seeing it in hand. The slanted angle of the top left of the last number means it can't be a 5. It was very luckily pulled from circulation just in time to still be identifiable.

Thanks YQQ. It is indeed quite rare. I'd put a retail value on this one of about $1100. There is a PCGS certified Fair-2 piece on Ebay with a $1400/Best Offer, but I feel that is much too high.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well Dude... here is a suggestion:
    send it for certification to ICCS...
    let the "experts" decide. you can always after, cut it out if you do not agree....
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life