Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Newbie Help/Pre-Grading tools

Very first post and I am sure I will be posting often (PSA set registry bug bit me), I have yet to send in a card and wanted to make sure I wasn’t wasting time and more importantly money sending in cards that are just not worth grading. Are their specific tools you all use to Pre-Grade your cards? I am going to be getting a magnifying device of some sort and I am sure some sort of small square measuring device or just a square…I’ve looked and have just not found anything that to me is perfect. You know a lighted magnifying glass with measuring increments on it or something like that…any assistance would be appreciated.
One other thing, when determining if an item is mint does the back come into play more than being clean (no gum) and mostly centered? I have an 87 (PSA Mint 10) Topps card that the front is primo, but to me the back looks off, not much but noticeable. I was using it as a template for my other 87’s . Again thanks for the help…working on my first set (89 Score Traded…easy I know but wanted to start small).

Joe

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I would list this on the "Community Message Board" and delete it from this board. You will get a lot more views.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Doug,

Thank you for the suggestion and I would if I could figure out how to delete the entire. Since I can't I will change the title to something more forum related.

• lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would list this on the "Community Message Board" and delete it from this board. You will get a lot more views. >>

"Community Message Board"??? Which one is that????
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would list this on the "Community Message Board" and delete it from this board. You will get a lot more views. >>

"Community Message Board"??? Which one is that???? >>

It's also known as " SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM". It's the first one listed on the home page under MESSAGE BOARDS.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Very first post and I am sure I will be posting often (PSA set registry bug bit me), I have yet to send in a card and wanted to make sure I wasn’t wasting time and more importantly money sending in cards that are just not worth grading. Are their specific tools you all use to Pre-Grade your cards? I am going to be getting a magnifying device of some sort and I am sure some sort of small square measuring device or just a square…I’ve looked and have just not found anything that to me is perfect. You know a lighted magnifying glass with measuring increments on it or something like that…any assistance would be appreciated.
    One other thing, when determining if an item is mint does the back come into play more than being clean (no gum) and mostly centered? I have an 87 (PSA Mint 10) Topps card that the front is primo, but to me the back looks off, not much but noticeable. I was using it as a template for my other 87’s . Again thanks for the help…working on my first set (89 Score Traded…easy I know but wanted to start small).

Joe >>

Welcome to the boards Joe!

Get a high intensity (or at least very bright) lamp to check the surface of cards for creases and wrinkles. A loupe (I like 10x) is also very helpful for checking corners/edges. I wouldn't bother with a square myself.

Card backs are not judged as tightly as fronts where centering is concerned. Here are PSA's grading standards;

Here

Good luck,

Joe

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Thanks, for the info...I think that will help me a ton.

Joe
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, hello, how are ya? image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Doing great! My 89 Score set is coming alone...though the #1 card is truning out to be a pain. If it isn't light on ink one of the corners is damaged. Thankfully the sets are cheap and most that I have gotten haven't been rummaged through.